• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dick Butkus won't be down

Dick Butkus was a household name when I was growing up. He name was synonymous with being the toughest guy on the field. The Bears had 2 first round picks in '65. They took Dick Butkus with the #3 pick and Gale Sayers with the #4 pick. NFL Films made a great A Football Life episode about both of them.

One of my favorite parts of Johnny Dangerously was when Roman Maroni was swearing up a storm and Dick Butkus says "the mouth on that guy". :lol:

R.I.P. to a true legend.

@kiwigtx

Oh, what Butkus could do with this guy!! We need more Dick Butkus in this world….a LOT more!

FBC2EB63-65B1-4A20-96FE-0F75B717477C.png

RIP Dick Butkus. Talented and intelligent. Absolute legend!

Those SNL "Da Bears" Sketches are classic, and the hilarious Miller Lite Commercials.
All those incredible plays that came from the master of defense.
What a great loss for all old school football fans.
RIP Dick, you were a treasure to watch.

Another one gone.... R.I.P.

Just heard about this! He had that name you giggle at like a five-year-old, but his skill and prowess as a football player made you sit up and take notice. Such talent! RIP.

It is often said that you can take the person out of Chicago, but you cannot take the Chicago out of the person!!! I should know as having been born and raised in the area and have been still to this day a Chi-town sports fan. I can see him playing with a vengeance on the opposing team and the Friendly Confines aka Wrigley Field back in those days with Gale Sayers and Brian Pickalow churning up yardage. He was a hometown hero and U of I Grad as well. Here are some links to his great Hall of Fame career...Rip Mr Buttkick..a nickname by a Polish woman in the Chicago community...:praying::praying::praying::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Dick Butkus, one of the greatest linebackers in NFL history, dies at 80

Remembering Dick Butkus

this one might not open but still...Dick Butkus, Chicago Bears Hall of Famer, dies at 80

Not to mention Rocky's dog was named "Butkus". I've heard said he was named after the famed football player as well. That was also the dog's name in real life.

1696619022152.png

“Monsters of the Midway”, being a Browns follower; I hated them. But always marveled at their prowess. I don’t think Jim Brown really liked them either.

I got to meet him in high school. A bunch of the Bears players flew into our local airport to meet with the local high school teams (3) in our county in downstate IL. 69 or 70 I can't remember which.
RIP Dick
Still a Bears fan to this day.

DSC01754.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back