• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you ever regret selling your mopar?

70 Cuda 340 4spd... my mom said to get it out of the driveway...my four brothers before me stored cars there for years with no trouble...but if I didnt sell it she would have it towed...I parted it out and scrapped the body....HOW DUMB. 72 road runner 440 4 spd...took all the goodies off that car and put them on a 71 satellite...all because the 71 had nicer paint...scrapped that one two...the 71 was in 84 and I didnt know any better...the Cuda was just wrong!!

The short answer to that question is no, not really. I have owned several Mopar muscle cars over the years and the ones I got rid of went for good reasons, no regrets. I made it a point to hang on to my 68 RR because it has always been the one I was meant to keep. Trust me, I have turned down several very good offers for it over the years, even when times were a little tight, but I always knew it was my one keeper.

I do however miss my '04 3500 Cummins Ram. Loved that truck.

I have much respect for you guys who have sacrificed cars for the betterment of your families. They are after all only machines.

WoW... a lot of great comments on the thread. I've enjoyed reading them all. Thank-you. I've learned from this, I'm certainly not alone on the topic.
It would appear, we have all given up a "Special" car or two. in days gone by. If only those cars could talk.... the stories they could tell us. No doubt!
Keep'On Rock'n Mopar!

Also, believe it or not, I regret selling my 85 Ramcharger. Always loved that truck.

:iamwithstupid:

I wish I still kept my 78 Trailduster 4x4 400 4 speed, I had when I lived in Palmer Alaska,
I can completely relate...

Along with quite a few of my numerous old Power Wagons too,
especially my 1st a 66 W200 3/4 ton, long bed,Dana 60's front & rear,
I put a mild 440 {had a 318 Poly orig.} & shortened the wheelbase,
then put a half ton short bed on it, lifted 3"s & Q/78's {35's}, painted it Green...

that thing was great in 4 wheel drive...

I towed with it for a while too, just needed a better tow rig,
should have kept it & bought another truck for towing...

I regret selling both my 95 & 98 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Cummins
{ultimately to by a 2002 F350 4x4 Dually 7.3 Powerstroke turbo, my Pops love it thou},
both Rams were tricked out & both were daily driven, noisy & loud, but great running,
to well over 350k miles each, as contractor & racecar tow rigs...

I regret not having any photos, all the time...

Hi Kiwigtx... Just reviewing this post. Unlike the days of old and seemingly (a lack of cameras or interest) in taking too many pictures of our old rides, I am now thinking it was more likely because we were all too busy entertaining the ladies, lol.... At my age, it's more about the car these days, and cameras are a dime a dozen. Pictures are no longer a problem. So much so, that my better half or 'War Department', as I prefer to call her (wisely, of course, when not standing in the same room), gets annoyed with all of the pics and the attention being given to my old 'X' :)

If I'm gonna....it'll be soon. I doubt it though. Regrets have no point to them.

Last edited:
Three Mopars I've owned that I truly wished I had kept:

1) 1969 Dart GTS 440 hardtop. A legit 440 automatic car with 3.91 SG rear. T5 Turbine Bronze Metallic with black interior and vinyl top. Beautifully restored car that I sold prior to PCSing to Germany in 1989. Owned for about a year. It was the ONLY factory front disc-brake-equipped '69 440 Dart (all others were drums all around). I sold the car to a guy in MA. His "Mopar expert" claimed that NO 440 disc brake cars were built, never mind I had talked to the cars' SEVEN previous owners, back to Day One, and he remembers distinctly that the car had discs, because he ordered the car new! So, the buyer converted the DISC brakes to drums. What a buffoon!

2) 1996 Dodge 3500 Cummins Club Cab dually 4x2. 5-speed truck, bought in 2000 w/22K miles, sold in 2008 w/144K miles. Dependable as the day is long! White with gray lower body. Lots of little custom touches. Sold it because my kids were bitching about the fact it did not have rear doors (that started in the '97 MY), so I sold it and bought an '06 Dodge 2500 crew cab. Didn't like that truck and got a '94 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab LWB. Sold that later, too. I liked that damn Ford!

3) 1967 Belvedere I six-passenger station wagon. Sold new to an undertaker in Antwerp, Belgium along with a second Belvedere I wagon. One of three sold in Europe new. Originally a 225 3-speed on the column, it had a later 225 auto in it, along with a front disc conversion. HD heater, Hemi torsion bars and springs, HD brakes. Radio delete. I did a bunch on the car while I was in Germany. redid the interior and got the car ready to ship to the US in '92. I installed a '72 360 in 1996. Traded it for a paint job on a '67 GMC Suburban I restored in 1998. Fun car. Used to be a funeral car.

Regrettable Sales

Yep..

We bought our 1st GTX (68) in 1970 just prior to my going overseas with the Navy. I lost the car!! It became her daily driver!! We kept it until 1978 when we were moving and it was the 3rd car, parked on the street. I think the battery was stolen a couple of times, so it was put up for sale.

We sold it to a friend, who "gave" it to his son. Son was living in Toronto ( I think) and at the time a gift was not subject to the import taxes and such. Our friend was a car guy and a MOPAR guy. He drove a '71 Hemi GTX and his wife's car was a '68 Runner convertible!! About two years or so later, our friend calls and wants to know if I had any info on the carb ( I had installed headers and a Holly carb). I found a book on Holly's and a bag of jets and power valves and gave them to him. He was on his way to the UK to visit his son in England where he had been transferred to and had taken the GTX with him. When he returned he told us of he & his son getting the carb sorted and blasting up & down the M1 and scaring the heck out of motorists. I think they uncapped the headers!!

From what I recall, the "X" came back to Canada and I have lost track of it over the years. both our friend and his wife have passed away so I really haven't searched for the old car.

It took us about 4 years to realize the mistake and another 30 to find a replacement. Very happy with the new one, but still would like to konow about the old one...

Jeff

Sad to hear of ya losing track of your X... Some say, what's done is done and move on... Others seem to care a little more about that 'special' car, for a variety of reasons. It's human nature.

The following link might not be of help to you, given your location & particular circumstances...
but it just might be of help to someone else - wanting to know the location of their 'long gone' prize ride.

blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/tracking-down-your-old-car/

I'm a Midwestern sort of guy being from Minnesota an all. I moved all over the country for corporate America and just could never get myself to let go. I found a reasonable storage site in MN and kept it there for 30 some years. Pulled it out a couple years ago and have been restoring it ever since. Bottom line - I don't like regret so I've kept that car for 43 years, first car I ever owned. It's being painted right now and I hope to post pics in the next month or so. My guy is veeerrrryyyy sssllloooowww. Drives me nuts but it is what it is. He's a perfectionist.

I owe fbbo pics I know and they'll be coming. As an add - I don't have a friend that had one of these muscle cars that doesn't regret selling it. But as snake eyes says above they all went for a reason. Your kids or your car - kids come first etc.

shes a GTX 440 Six Pack and I hope to show you very soon how it turned out.

Been there man - had a 70 Roadrunner Convertible that after owning for many years took the plunge and did a total rotisserie restoration on - for 3years. Loved that car, then like you kid had medical problems that were very expensive so the car went - but I was able to keep about half the cash and used it to buy a 1970 challenger R/T convertible which was very nice but had a few minor issues. Spent the next 2 years getting it up to near mint condition then came the second shoe to drop and same kid needed more medical attention and that car went - total bummer. Now cash is gone and no way am I doing a 50k or more loan. Fast forward 10 years to a few months ago and I stumbled upon a derelict 1971 SuperBee 440-6 car! Numbers all match but it needs everything but it was cheap. So here we go again - its a passion for sure, I just hope I get to keep this one since this is a major job.

I may be one of the fortunate ones since I have not had to sell my car. Bought my 71 Cuda when I was in college in 1977, and it is still in my garage. Been through highs and lows, moves, and life events but I still have it.
My 65 Belvedere is a more recent acquisition.

Picture 178.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back