• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die grinder collet for hex shaft wire brushes?

Ron_M

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Does this exist? A Die grinder collet for hex shaft wire brushes? Standard round shaft wire brushes seem to be a thing of the past. Seems Harbor Freight still offers them for now.
Most stores now only carry wire brushes with hex shaft to use in Jacobs chuck drill. Was unsuccessful with Google. Thanks in advance!

A small drill chuck with a 1/4" shank would adapt those hex shafts.
Mike

Unless someone has come up with something new in the last few years you will need a drill chuck. (3 jaws that hold a hex) You aren't looking hard enough for 1/4" found shank brushes or other accessories. Try BRM. Brush Research Manufacturing.

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to not have use a chuck in the die grinder due to the additional weight. I also use a Milwaukee M18 grinder and that's a pretty hefty tool. I will probably just buy a basket full of wire brushes at HF since they're cheap.

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to not have use a chuck in the die grinder due to the additional weight. I also use a Milwaukee M18 grinder and that's a pretty hefty tool. I will probably just buy a basket full of wire brushes at HF since they're cheap.
MAke sure you buy a full face shield aa well. Picking wires out of your cheek is no big deal. Out of your yes is a different deal. If the HF brushes were high quality the world would be buying them because of the price. Just saying.

I'm assuming an air die grinder. I don't think I'd wanna spin any wire brush 10,000 rpm in an electric die grinder.
And DO use eye protection!

I'm assuming an air die grinder. I don't think I'd wanna spin any wire brush 10,000 rpm in an electric die grinder.
And DO use eye protection!
The brushes should have rpm ratings stamped on the hub. Something to remember, that 20,000 rpm is at 90 psi. If you are dumb enough to run a air tool at at 160-200#, you have a hand grenade with the pin pulled, in your hand. I have seen some injuries in my 28 years of the business.

Depending on the design, an encapsulated wire brush will take some rpm. They are long lasting as well.

Most 18V systems have a rattle gun with a 1/4" chuck ready for accepting all manner of accessory bits. It really depend on how deep you need to get....you can also buy extension shafts for that 1/4" chuck - and they lock in place.

I use mine for the Tek bits all the time.

Most 18V systems have a rattle gun with a 1/4" chuck ready for accepting all manner of accessory bits. It really depend on how deep you need to get....you can also buy extension shafts for that 1/4" chuck - and they lock in place.

I use mine for the Tek bits all the time.
Without seeing photos of the brushes the op is talking about, the RPM range of the ones I am thinking about is not very fast. Let me see if I can find a photo and description.

Last edited:
Here's some that are rated for 4500 rpm. A die grinder would be suicide.

Screenshot_20231030_223217_Chrome.jpg

The ones I linked above are rated a little higher.... The lowest RPM ones are 20,000.....

Seen a 7 -1/4" skill saw framing blade chucked into the end of a router.
Piece of all thread , nut and washer, blade, then nut and washer.
Yep I looked it over, could not imagine pulling the trigger on it let alone cutting with it.
The wire brush wheels need to be damn good ones like wild RT suggested.

Auto Transport Service
Back