• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel Tuning

I don’t have a hand held tuner, and just guessing that it’s tuned with EFI Live or equivalent. Dealer (bought the truck from) said they don’t have a hand held tuner that came with the truck. So no way for me to download what tune is on the truck. So this is the easiest and cheapest way for me to get everything done.

Have you tried the carfax or dealer to get the name of the previous owner and contact them for it? It wont do anything for the previous bc it is married to that ECU

My buddy (CHP Officer) has a Carfax account due to his job, he looked it up, that’s where we found the 3 recalls that haven’t been done.

It’s much more simple for me to get a computer with the factory tune on it and be done. So I ordered one last night, be here next Monday.

The dealer I bought the truck from is sending me $140 cause that’s what the Dodge dealer here in town charges to reflash the computer. I’m good with that, plus I didn’t want to stoop to their level of lying about the cost.

that sucks, im sorry. Your buddy couldnt run the vin and get the name of the previous owner for you? it is still worth an ask so you can make changes in the future. that motor is not as fun without tuning... just saying.

It’s an animal the way it is now, that’s why I’m getting a stock tuned computer for smogging.

I didn’t ask him to do that, I was interested in any/all recalls.

Last edited:
I just drove my truck with the tow/haul mode on.......HOLY ****! This thing just gets with it!!

Time to start hunting camaro’s, lol!!!

Jealous, I want one bad. Ram has their 20% off MSRP deal going on right now too but I’m not in a position to buy unfortunately. Soon I’m hoping!

My purchase was out of necessity, my son was too uncomfortable sitting in the back of my 99’ Club Cab. I sold my Dart and my truck to get this and it’s used with 172k on it. It was well taken care of, flew to AZ to buy it (saved 10k from buying one in Ca), drove it home.

Bought another computer flashed to my VIN, fired it up, runs good. But alas, there are 8 codes! Dammit! The first 6 are for the injectors not matching the factory ecm, so at some point they were changed out. Ok, no biggie, Browns Diesel said they could fix that. The other 2 codes are egr cooler BS, and a temp probe. So I’m ordering a gasket kit and will pull off the egr BS and clean the **** out of them. Also will be pulling off the NOX and DPF filters to clean out the DPF and since gaskets are missing, replace those and might as well paint them with ceramic header paint as they look like crap!

The reason for doing it ALL this way is the computer on the truck is tuned and is a beast. So I’m swapping the computers for smog and then I’ll swap them out again afterwards.

I do something similar with my straight pipe exhaust on my gas truck. Got it set up to where it's easy to swap out for inspection but the diesel passes with a full straight. Go figure lol I guess the turbo acts as a 'restristion' and counts as a muffler. Thing is, the cat that came on it stock is also off of it.

With all this crap on these trucks, it’s a wonder they even work!

the six injectors or probably the bigger injectors for the tune that is on the other ECM. Yes if they are too big for the stock ECM it will give a code, but if you are putting your old ECM back in you will need to keep those heavier injectors...

I wouldnt change them if you were going back to the other ECM. Those injectors are expensive.

Definitely not changing them, just want the factory tune (ecm) to be right so I get this thing smogged.

And just to be clear, the ecm that was on the truck with a tune, is a BEAST! Night and day difference between stock and tuned.

Went to take off the DPF filter to clean it and look at this ****! The same with the NOX filter. The place I bought the truck from is trying to locate a good used set for me, we will see as I’m not gonna hold my breath.

1F917F85-6271-4EBE-A1D6-F6B887BE8394.jpeg 406D98CC-56BB-4F7C-A05D-465AA9E6D992.jpeg

Update.....the hole in the wall dealer came through with a used set of nox/dpf filters. They want the old stuff back (not feeling that due to the **** I’ve been through buying this truck). Anyway, had to have the injectors programmed into my new (vin flashed) ECU. Got that done, now to get the I/M Readiness monitors to go green. California allows for 2 to not be ready and everything I read said it could take up to 1200 miles. WTF!!!

Well, my truck did it in less than 50 miles! Woohoo! I had 2 monitors not ready, so I drove to the smog place and on the way there, it was showed only 1 not ready. It passed, I paid the man and took off. Now to the DMV for registration.

Great news! Now I suppose you'll be putting the hotrod tune back on it:)

I can neither confirm or deny the smog stuff will still continued to be used.

I just want to know if it is running like a beast again........

Auto Transport Service
Back