• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel Tuning

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Any members here know how to do diesel tuning? Or know of a person/place that can?

Yeah, I’m just trying to figure out if a hand held will do what I need or go with a custom tune. Money is also a factor.

5.7 which engine

6.7 Cummins

your hand held can make alot of changes but only minor ones. what is it doing check engine light on or low power. if the engine is missing you can run cyn cut out to see which one etc

My problem is it FAILED smog, I/M readiness test. The place I bought it from in AZ put a tune on it and so the monitors aren’t ready. And from what I understand, with a tune on it, they will never be “ready status”. So I need to get the “tune” that’s on it off, stock tune installed and then do the BS drive cycles to get the I/M Readiness monitors in the green. Get it smogged and I’m good to go.

The sales guy is now lying his *** off, saying that he never said it was tuned, but they are willing to pay for it to be put back to stock tune. The truck is an animal, trans shifts f’ing perfect. So I really need this tune taken out, factory tune installed, pass smog, reinstall tune and be happy or get a hand held that will do what I need so in 2 years I can uninstall, smog, reinstall and be fat, dumb and happy.

The dealership can reflash your computer to stock specs
Or just a basic hand held will fix this issue too!

a thought go to a cumminns shop have them print your program as is now then load the stock one. your program you have now will not be in any programs from cummins. don't let down them load and reload without a print out. we have lost more programs coming in or out.with out the print out you will never have it again.

Not sure how a handheld will put in a factory tune.....don’t they unload and save the factory tune and then load in a modified tune?

What else was "done" to it?
If it's been deleted, you're screwed in Ca without some tech help.
I'm not familiar with Ca emissions tests, how are they testing?

All the smog/emissions stuff is there, not a problem as it passes the visual.

Just the I/M Readiness Monitors are not “ready”. That’s my problem. Everything else is good to go. Hell, the state takes care of the registration since I’m a Disabled Veteran. Also already paid the tax on it, so it’s just the smog part that needs to be taken of.

Yup, you need whatever handheld was used and now has the factory tune saved on it. If the dealer flashes it you’ll lose the custom tune.

thats why it has to be printed out so on reload they can manually install it. if custom i would think they have done a couple changes. first the map and 02 sensors are from a different year second they have move the injector responds times. they may have messed with vss so the trans shifts as needed not a program. they could have also turned up the fuel pressure. not sure but anyways get a print out of it

Gonna shoot up to Browns Diesel tomorrow morning and see if they can help. I’m hoping it’s EFI Live, would be super easy for them to download it and install a factory tune. Or maybe I just need to drive it more to have the monitors start setting. That’s my question, it could be emissions tuned, I just don’t know.

5.7 do you drive it everyday or does it set for long periods of time. i had bought a chevy to flip it got it cheap needed a head work but anyways battery dead got it running went to the emissions and failed because the data was gone and they thought i just had it rebooted. had to drive it fifty miles and went back did another test and passed.

I drive it daily. Most just around Hanford, running errands. Friday it goes in for recall work, so I’d like to get the monitor **** fixed by then, if not, dealer can reflash the computer and then I’ll need to do more driving to get the monitors to set. Waste of money and fuel!

Talked with Browns Diesel in Riverdale, they don’t do programming of any type. The dealer said they could reflash the computer for $140. So my truck would be back to stock and be a turd. But instead, I bought another computer that is being flashed to my VIN. This way I can swap them out, pass smog and then swap them back. Then when it needs to be smogged again, swap them out and repeat. Should be good to go!

Dodge is kind of finiky with the tunes for the Cummins.
Do you have the programmer (the piece that plugs into to OBD) That computer should hold the current tune and the stored stock tune. If you do then hook it to the computer copy all the file on the computer so there is not a risk of losing them. Plug it back into the truck and go to the flash screen and click put back to stock or use stock tune. (each one is a little different). it will have your light flash and ding then the stock tune is back on. go do your emissions, and then do the reverse with your updated tune.
but a great tuner is https://calibratedpower.com/
I have them on mine, they are very knowedlgable, helpful and they can probably walk you through it all over the phone.

Auto Transport Service
Back