• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between std. and hvy. duty front disk brakes?

Cordoba78

Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
My 1978 Cordoba with a 400 cid engine and 727 transmission has the heavy duty front disk brakes, but what is the difference between standard duty and heavy duty front disk brakes?
According to my parts book, it seems like both standard duty and heavy duty has the same rotors and calipers, but the pads are different - is that the only difference between those two?

I'm sure I'm wrong but I think the rotor size is 11'' standard and 11.75''heavy.For some reason this came to mind.Just a thought.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I think the rotor size is 11'' standard and 11.75''heavy.For some reason this came to mind.Just a thought.

X2. The standard one had 10.?? (11 inch) rotors and the HD had the largest available, 11.75, rotors.

My 1978 parts book covers the following models/car lines.
Newport/New Yorker (C)
LeBaron (F)
Diplomat (G)
Volare (H)
Aspen (N)
Fury (R)
Cordoba (S)
Monaco (W)
Charger se/Magnum xe (X)
Horizon (M)
Omni (Z)

According to my parts book, the H, N, R and W car lines are the only ones listed with hd. disk brakes, they have different part numbers on std./hd. disks, and different part numbers on std./hd. pads.
As far as i have found out, the std. and hd. brake disks on these cars have the same diameter, 10,97 inches and 1 inch thick.
The C, F, G, S and X car lines are listed with std. disk brakes only, not hd.
As far as i have found out, these car lines have the same brake disk diameter, 11,75 inches and 1 inch thick, except for the C car line which is 1,25 inches thick.
All car lines seems to have the same calipers, no hd. and they all have the same piston diameter, 2,75 inches, except for the C car line which have a 3,1 Inch piston diameter.
There are two types of brake boosters, single type and tandem type.
Std. on all car lines are the single type, except for the C car line which have the tandem type.
R, W, S and X car lines use the tandem type in hd. applications (this is according to my 1978 service manual).
My car has the single type booster and 11,75 inch disks, which looks like std brakes according to my parts book and service manual.
My fender tag has the B12 code, which is hd. front disk brakes, so what is hd. front disk brakes on a Cordoba, i must say i am a bit confused after reading my parts book and service manual.
All the information above is from my 1978 parts book and 1978 service manual.
Please correct me if you think i am wrong on anything here.

HD front brakes were available in the S body also ( Cordoba with the 300 package ). I think if you ordered the E58 engine package you got the HD front brakes, part # 4126545 was for the rotor. All were 11.5" diameter, but the HD rotors had the inner plate thickness at 5/16" while the standard rotors were at 1/4". From Chrysler Corp sales division literature.

Auto Transport Service
Back