• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference in K-frame? (440 vs RB)

RTDaddy

Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
What are the differences between the 440 K-frame (the one with the "coin" welded on it) vs other big block K-frames?

thanks in advance.

A 440 is an RB.

if you have V-8 k-member you can put what ever engine you want on it, small block or big block v-8. 6 cylinder k-members were different. Some hemi and 6 pack cars had reinforced k-members.

the one with a ‘coin’ (which I think maybe you mean washer) welded in it was a v-8 k-member for small block cars like darts and dusters etc…. The washer was just to signify to line workers what car they were working o.

What are the differences between the 440 K-frame (the one with the "coin" welded on it) vs other big block K-frames?

thanks in advance.
My 70 charger r/t had a slug / disc welded to the k frame as well. And a 70 k member has the anti sway bar that goes through the k frame. And 68 and 69 k frames has the anti sway bar in front of the k frame. AFIK. I hope this additional info helps?

70 K frames got a skid plate if they had a 6 pack engine because they a larger oil pan that would hang down lower to help protect it I believe
Coin seems to mean it was a 70 K frame
There was 3 differnt engine style K frames slant 6 V8 or hemi

All 66-69 V8 K frames are the same, the /6 and Hemi K frames are the only exceptions. The 70-72 V8 K frames, had a different sway bar arrangement, therefore were different. I cannot speak to the 73-74 K frames as the front suspension made a lot of changes.

Interesting, I guess the factory did the coin/washer thing on b body stuff too. Didn’t know that. Learn something new today

Interesting, I guess the factory did the coin/washer thing on b body stuff too. Didn’t know that. Learn something new today
The 70 440 6 pak car I restored had the coin tacked on and a skid plate, but the actual K frame was the same as any other V8 for that year, with the exception of a Hemi.

All 66-69 V8 K frames are the same, the /6 and Hemi K frames are the only exceptions. The 70-72 V8 K frames, had a different sway bar arrangement, therefore were different. I cannot speak to the 73-74 K frames as the front suspension made a lot of changes.
Except for the 66 idler arm mount.

Any wedge v8 will bolt to any other V8 k frame 1966-1972 B & E body. Hemi excluded

67 and older had the different idler arm without the through bolt.

mid year 1970 all had coins welded on with a 2 digit number stamped on them for ID. A B E bodies

1970 B & E started the skid plates on 440+4HP 440+6 and hemi

Last edited:
Click on this link it will help you ID some K Frames.

Auto Transport Service
Back