• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences in AC brackets, C body to B body?

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a chance to by a complete 69 440 HP. Owner says he pulled it out of a New Yorker. I want to use it in my 68 Coronet R/T that originally came with AC. One reason I am leaning toward buying this engine is that it is complete, minus the carb, and I really like the idea of having every bracket, pulley, nut and bolt for the engine accessories already in place. I know the air cleaner, and pie tin are not correct for my car, and I believe that at least one of the exhaust manifolds is different too, which is okay as I have those pieces. Then I got to wondering, are there different brackets and pulleys for the ac, power steering, and alternator when used on a 69 Chrysler (compared to a 68 Dodge)? I was hoping they would be the same.
Thanks.

Chrysler corp. completely changed the A/C and alternator mounting brackets from 1968 to 1969. So if you want the correct parts for your 1968 car this 1969 set up is all wrong.

If you just want it to work then you can use every piece of the 1969 on your 1968. B and C body have a different PS bracket, but it will work on the other body styles, the offset is the same.

Chrysler corp. completely changed the A/C and alternator mounting brackets from 1968 to 1969. So if you want the correct parts for your 1968 car this 1969 set up is all wrong.

If you just want it to work then you can use every piece of the 1969 on your 1968. B and C body have a different PS bracket, but it will work on the other body styles, the offset is the same.
Thanks very much. That is exactly what I needed to know. I may do it anyway since odds aren't good that I am going to find an intact 68 HP with AC. I mainly want the car to look stock. May have to rethink that though.

Thanks very much. That is exactly what I needed to know. I may do it anyway since odds aren't good that I am going to find an intact 68 HP with AC. I mainly want the car to look stock. May have to rethink that though.
It'll work and look stock to 99% of the people... Personally if I want air I don't waste my time on the OE RV2 compressor... Put a Sanden on it, less HP to run, doesn't leak, doesn't vibrate... Consistent cold air...

Grab that 69, use the Alt, idler, W/P, crank pulley & P/S If your set on OE use the RV2, if you want A/C that works use a Sanden with Bouchilion brackets...

When using the Bouchilion I like to use a black compressor, it tends to disappear...

I agree with 1WildR/T. Go with the Sanden and use the rest of the brackets and such. You can thank us later....ruffcut

The 1969 and up set up is better looking and lighter weight.

The 1968 design goes back many years, it has a big cast iron alt mount on the front of the head, and the compressor mount is cast iron and spans the fron of the intake bolting to both front intake bolts. I have a 1961 413 that looks mostly the same as a 1968. Differences are the idler pulley bracket has a small change. The alternator adjuster strap is different.

yes the sanden is a change for the better.

And the HP block or not doesn’t change the pullies and brackets on the front of the engine.

Pay no attention to the chrome air cleaner, aluminum valve covers & lets paint those fittings black... Then the A/C just fades away..

View recent photos.jpg

I thank you all. I am sure I can live with the 69 stuff, especially if I run the 69 block. At least the parts will be correct for the engine, if not the car. I most likely will go the Sanden compressor route. Sometimes form has to follow function. I don't know why but I feel weird about certain things. This car can never be a "numbers" car due to the wrong engine, wrong transmission, and missing fender tag and build sheet, but I don't want it to be a restomod either. I also really want the HP stamped block even though I know there is no difference in the block. I sort of feel like if the air cleaner says 440 Magnum, then the front pad should have HP stamped on it. I know that sounds strange. I also would not put R/T emblems on a car that wasn't an R/T from the factory. Just a personal quirk.

Auto Transport Service
Back