• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dipstick tube rusted in block!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone share tube removal tricks? It's in the 3.8 V-6 I'm rebuilding and in good condition. I lathed out a driver but, it won't budge, just flares out the bottom end. Thanks fellas.
Mike

Mike, Is it possible to put some decent heat on it? I am assuming the oil pan is off
this motor? Heat it up... then douse with ice cold water or ice. If no budge, then try again.
It should shock the piece of tube, then just drive it out carefully. Good luck.

Mike, Is it possible to put some decent heat on it? I am assuming the oil pan is off
this motor? Heat it up... then douse with ice cold water or ice. If no budge, then try again.
It should shock the piece of tube, then just drive it out carefully. Good luck.
Well, I may have lost my temper and beat the crap out of it. I'll just buy a new tube. I can drill out what's left. I'm not comfortable with heating cast iron anyway. Thanks!
Mike

i

If you have a tap that will cut some threads in the I.D, use that and make sure you douse it
with some kind of penetrating oil first. The tap will "move" the tube around and hopefully
let the oil in. Then put a long piece of threaded rod in the tube with the same thread as
the tap and use it like a slide-hammer and yank that puppy out!

Might grind a hacksaw blade until it fits the hole. Make a cut then another 180 from the first. Wouldn't worry too much about heating cast. Don't need red hot anyway.

Smack a relatively dull chisel into the side of the tube just above the block. Fold in the tube a bit and it will come right out.

Auto Transport Service
Back