• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disassembling Aluminum Heads before Powdercoat

tx67fury

Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
I have a set of never been mounted/used TF 240 heads I want to get powder coated. They come assembled with the valves, springs, etc. on them. One of the guys I talked to said he could coat them without disassembly (he would mask the appropriate areas and such). Is that true? Would it damage the valve seals or springs at 400 degrees? Thanks

400 degrees is pretty hot my man. What would happen if your engine got that hot?
Aluminium heads get soft even when an engine is overheated, then they lose their ability to retain a head gasket. Watch out you do not destroy them before you have even used them.
Your parts - your call.
I never put anything on them hotter than rattle can paint.

I'd be worried about warpage too. Maybe that's unfounded...I would definitely break them down first. Not difficult, especially with them on the bench.

You guys realize how hot the combustion process is ?

The melting point of aluminum is over 1200 degrees.
The valve stem seals would burn up though!

Call the head company. I bet your not the first with that question.

Paint them with Urethane. Holds up great on iron or aluminum. Intake, heads, water pump and valve covers are all aluminum.This engine was painted in 2012.
E33.jpg

Doug

Paint them with Urethane. Holds up great on iron or aluminum. Intake, heads, water pump and valve covers are all aluminum.This engine was painted in 2012.
Doug

What brand of paint did you use? That looks really good.

If the heads were bare rather than already built I would have no problem coating them.

The valve stem seals will NOT survive the heat to outgas the metal (500 degrees for at least two hours to bring contaminants and impurities in the casting to the surface as a crucial part of aluminum prep), or the lesser +/- 400 degrees required to cure the powder.

Even a "good" masking job won't keep blasting media dust or the fine powder particles out of the internals.

Heat dissipation is not really a big concern. Powder coating holds no more heat in than paint does.

I don't know who offered to coat them for you @tx67fury, but I can almost guarantee he is 1) more interested in your money than your engine, 2) knows little or nothing about proper and thorough aluminum prep and 3) has never built a motor.

Think it over really well and ask to see, feel and inspect his prior work on aluminum before making a commitment. A few dollars to make them look pretty could ultimately cost you thousands in the long run.

If the heads were bare rather than already built I would have no problem coating them.

The valve stem seals will NOT survive the heat to outgas the metal (500 degrees for at least two hours to bring contaminants and impurities in the casting to the surface as a crucial part of aluminum prep), or the lesser +/- 400 degrees required to cure the powder.

Even a "good" masking job won't keep blasting media dust or the fine powder particles out of the internals.

Heat dissipation is not really a big concern. Powder coating holds no more heat in than paint does.

I don't know who offered to coat them for you @tx67fury, but I can almost guarantee he is 1) more interested in your money than your engine, 2) knows little or nothing about proper and thorough aluminum prep and 3) has never built a motor.

Think it over really well and ask to see, feel and inspect his prior work on aluminum before making a commitment. A few dollars to make them look pretty could ultimately cost you thousands in the long run.

Thanks for the replies...after the comments here I’m convinced it’s not the way to go. Appreciate the time y’all!

I'm with dvw Doug. I used the Urethane and epoxy primer he recommended and love the results. Much harder than anything I ever used out of a rattle can and not bothered by fuel or oil. I even did the short block with a roller and brush in the car!!
IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG

Paint them with Urethane. Holds up great on iron or aluminum. Intake, heads, water pump and valve covers are all aluminum.This engine was painted in 2012. Doug
This engine (Doug's) pushes my happy buttons just looking at it!! I'd love some links to hear it run!!!
WITNESS THE BEAUTY OF THIS BEAST!
E33.jpg

I was considering that Indy intake with a 3x2 top .....until I got my Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake.
Doesn't it come setup for MaxWedge ports?

Auto Transport Service
Back