• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor and TDC 180?

69ChargerR/TSE

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I have a question.
My 440, I just replaced the water pump and pulled the timing chain cover, and my timing chain gears were both at 12, and my distributor was pointing at 1.
I turned the crank and lined up the dots Cam 6, crank 12, and my distributor was pointing at I guess 6, 180 from 1, I used a camera and saw #1 piston was at the top.
If I'd kept rotating it, until the piston cycled, and checked TDC would my rotor point at 1 on the cap?
Car runs and drives. Just wondering if it's running with the distributor 180 out.

Last edited:
No, dot to dot on the timing gears is #6 cylinder. Both at 12 o clock is number #1. Your engine is set up correctly. 440'

The timing set dot to dot is #6 firing.
Possibly, I'd need to pull#1 plug and turn the crank to TDC 2x and check where the piston is and where the rotor is pointing. I use to know this stuff.

180° out won't run... unless the plug wires in the cap are 180 out too, in which case... it's not 180 out!

180° out won't run... unless the plug wires in the cap are 180 out too, in which case... it's not 180 out!
I replaced the distributor and pointed the rotor to 1 on the cap at TDC and piston was at the top in #1. I thought it was odd, when the cam and crank were both at 12 and it was pointing at 1.
I was wondering if I turned the engine, if it'd eventually be at TDC, piston up, and pointing at 1 and the cam at 6 and crank at 12.
Shop manual shows the gears to be aligned crank 12, cam 6.

Last edited:
You can orient the distributor rotor and plug wires anywhere you want, not just where Mopar says stock is. As long as firing order is right, and rotor is pointing at the cylinder you're trying to fire, you're good to go.
My tach drive 440 distributor is about three teeth off from stock, along with different plug wire placement, for proper tach cable position.

You can orient the distributor rotor and plug wires anywhere you want, not just where Mopar says stock is. As long as firing order is right, and rotor is pointing at the cylinder you're trying to fire, you're good to go.
My tach drive 440 distributor is about three teeth off from stock, along with different plug wire placement, for proper tach cable position.
Just wasn't sure if it was 180 out. Guess it wouldn't run, or run good if it was.
It just make me think when I saw the marks both at 12 and the rotor was at 1(didn't check the piston)

180 out, will NOT run, at all! It would be trying to fire the cylinder while in overlap, with both valves open. Backfiring out exhaust and carb.

180 out, will NOT run, at all! It would be trying to fire the cylinder while in overlap, with both valves open. Backfiring out exhaust and carb.
That's what I thought.
Maybe I am over thinking( I do have a service connected TBI :) )

#1 and #6 are both at TDC at the same time.

The “cam” can’t be “180 out”.
Dot to dot or 12/12 are the same thing, just a 360* rotation of the crank from being one or the other.

What can be 180” out is the distributor rotor phasing.

With the timing set at dot to dot, the correct rotor phasing is pointing towards #6
With the timing set at 12/12 it would be pointing towards #1.

Last edited:

Dot to dot or 12/12 are the same thing, just a 360* rotation of the crank from being one or the other.

With the timing set at dot to dot, the correct rotor phasing is pointing towards #6
Thank You

So, I’m guessing mines ok.

I am thinking of a cam change, and wanted to make sure I replace it correctly.

Cam at 12 or 6? With the crank gear at 12 not the keyway.
And the distributor pointing at #1.

So, I’m guessing mines ok.

I am thinking of a cam change, and wanted to make sure I replace it correctly.

Cam at 12 or 6? With the crank gear at 12 not the keyway.
And the distributor pointing at #1.
Dot to dot means dot to dot. They made that the rule so it wasn't possible to screw up.
DOT TO DOT.

If you want to install the dist firing on1, just look at the #1 cam lobes and make sure they're on the base circle at TDC. Super easy peezy.

Do yourself a huge favor and acquire a Factory Service Manual for your car. I can't stress this enough.
Everything you ask here is detailed and illustrated in that manual - and if you don't want to actually pay
for one, they're even available for free download as well.

Do yourself a huge favor and acquire a Factory Service Manual for your car. I can't stress this enough.
Everything you ask here is detailed and illustrated in that manual - and if you don't want to actually pay
for one, they're even available for free download as well.
I have one, just wondered if the distributor was installed 180 out, and still run ok.

I have one, just wondered if the distributor was installed 180 out, and still run ok.
If you're curious as to whether it'll fire 180 out, the quick answer is "yes" -
typically by means of a loud backfire and shooting flame out the carb throat. :eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back