• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor gasket or o ring

Huicho417

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
I have a small leak at the base of the distributor on my coronets 318 engin. The kit I purchased comes with a flat gasket and rubber oil ring. If I install the o ring it seems like the distributor does not seat all the way. Should I only be using the flash gasket and not o ring?

Some distributors have a groove on the base for an O-ring. No groove then no o-ring. Nothing in 1968 had an o-ring, it started 69-70 ish.

I have a small leak at the base of the distributor on my coronets 318 engin. The kit I purchased comes with a flat gasket and rubber oil ring. If I install the o ring it seems like the distributor does not seat all the way. Should I only be using the flash gasket and not o ring?
The flat gasket for dist should be metal.

Where can I purchase the metal gasket? All the kits I saw had the flat composite material gasket.

I got one in a gasket set. I'd use the dist hold down clamp. Make sure you have a good ground doing that. Make someone here has a source?

A ground wire from dist housing to block if you want be sure.
Distgasket.jpg

Last edited:
The O-ring goes around the side of the distributor base in a grove, not the bottom and a little lube on the O-ring will allow the distributor to drop into place.

Auto Transport Service
Back