• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor is leaking oil on my headers

So I may have to pull the passenger valve cover and get a breather cap also?
You cannot run two breathers!! You need one breather, and one PCV valve in order for it to work properly. If you remove the passenger side breather, you will likely find where you can break out a spot for a PCV grommet and valve. Don't forget to install a oil baffle under the grommet so it doesn't suck direct oil mist.

Tim you need a pcv on one side and a breather on the other to get the pressure out.
As it's set up now you have your breather hooked to manifold vac.
it needs to pull inbound air , and can dbl. As a oil fill point.
the other cover needs to have a pcv .
If the twist loc will fit, Ford has an oil fill cap with a breather in it, and a PCV valve/grommet should be able to go where the breather is now.

You cannot run two breathers!! You need one breather, and one PCV valve in order for it to work properly. If you remove the passenger side breather, you will likely find where you can break out a spot for a PCV grommet and valve. Don't forget to install a oil baffle under the grommet so it doesn't suck direct oil mist.
Proper way is a PCV one side and a breather to the air cleaner on the other side. However he can run breathers, one on each side. That's what I run on my Hemi on the street with no excess odors or oil mess.

100_2495.JPG

Proper way is a PCV one side and a breather to the air cleaner on the other side. However he can run breathers, one on each side. That's what I run on my Hemi on the street with no excess odors or oil mess.

View attachment 1475515
I understand and agree with you that a dual breather setup can work to a point but is not optimal. There is no "Positive" evacuation of the crankcase, and with excessive blowby, can create a situation where the oil will come out of the breathers. With just breathers, you basically have a "Draft Tube" setup, without the draft tube. They also did not work when the vehicle was just idling (police cars & taxis), and would really gum up with crap. As far as your situation, you could check into an "Offenhauser" breather/PCV conversion from "Hot Hemi Heads". I put one on a '54 331 Hemi I built for a customer.

Early Hemi, PCV Hemi Valve Cover Breather Conversion Kit, Hemi Breather Conversion

Thanks for all the input. I am going to try and find a Ford breather cap and put the PCV where the breather is now.

I ordered 2 different twist on breather caps. They were cheap enough. After that I'll switch out the push on breather for a PCV valve. The problem I had was that the grommet didn't seal well and caused a big vacuum leak. I'll try a different set up after the oil cap comes in.

Breather cap is on and PCV valve installed. Intake gasket is replaced. So far so good. Now onto the carburetor.

What year distributor? Some have a seal for the oil to stay out of the advance area. Seen them not come in nos ones actually. It will leak oil out of the drain holes in the upper body.

What year distributor? Some have a seal for the oil to stay out of the advance area. Seen them not come in nos ones actually. It will leak oil out of the drain holes in the upper body.
It's an MP electronic conversion. So far no more oil leak. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Auto Transport Service
Back