• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor is leaking oil on my headers

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
I am pulling my hair out. My LA 360 is up and running. For some insane reason, I can't stop the oil from leaking from the distributor. I put on a new o-ring. Nope. A new metal gasket seal. Nope. Tried a gasket, Fel Pro 6464. Nope. I even put in another distributor. Nope. Should I try doubling up on the felpro gaskets? I just can't stop it from leaking. Oil pressure is high because of the high volume oil pump. Around 100 psi. Any ideas?

Is it an aftermarket distributor and intake manifold?
Just went through this on my 360. The Weiand had just enough extra casting material to not allow it to seat 100% when I used a MP distributor. I had to remove the intake and grind until there was enough clearance. The PO "fixed" it by grinding on the distributor believe it or not.

Is it an aftermarket distributor and intake manifold?
Just went through this on my 360. The Weiand had just enough extra casting material to not allow it to seat 100% when I used a MP distributor. I had to remove the intake and grind until there was enough clearance. The PO "fixed" it by grinding on the distributor believe it or not.
It is an aftermarket aluminum intake but it's not touching it. It's an MP electronic ignition distributor. One thing I did notice (a long shot) it looks like some of the gasket sealer has a little extra bead that is close to it.

At idle, it's fine. The minute I drive it, it's leaking.

My bets it not the distributor thats leaking. Its most likely the intake seal or a oil sender.

Are you sure it's not the pressure guage fitting? It is in very close proximity to the distributor. If it is a plastic line to an aftermarket guage they need a new ferrule everytime they come apart.
Pnora is correct, distributors aren't exposed to oil pressure.

Are you sure it's not the pressure guage fitting? It is in very close proximity to the distributor. If it is a plastic line to an aftermarket guage they need a new ferrule everytime they come apart.
It doesn't look like it's coming from the pressure sender. It looks dry. Also it's electric so no oil lines. I look with a light and all around the distributor is oil.

I really hope it's not the intake gasket. I just had it put on.

Also maybe change to a lower weight oil. 100 PSI is pretty high, must be a lot of strain on the oil pump drive gear, especially when cold.

That oil pressure is a bit excessive. No need for more than 60 psi oil pressure tops. You'll be cutting grooves in bearings with that much pressure! Just my 2 cents. ruffcut

Yeah, my buddy installed a heavy duty oil pump but I didn't want it that high.

Update. Since I have a Bosch oil pressure gauge, the factory sending unit wasn't calibrated properly. I bought a Bosch sending unit and now I'm getting around 50-60 psi. Much better.
I also talked to my buddy that put the engine together. He's going to redo the intake gasket for me next week.

Got to ask. You are running a PCV set up and not just a pair of breathers ?

Is the distributor seating all the way down on manifold? With no gasket can you check if dist base seats all the way down.

Milled block, heads or manifold or components that have dimensions that are off might not be letting Distributor tighten down correctly.

Got to ask. You are running a PCV set up and not just a pair of breathers ?
No PCV. Just a breather. When I tried to set one up on the aluminum valve cover, it didn't seat correctly and had a major vacuum leak. I've run with no PCV in the past and never had this issue. The passenger side valve cover has no breather, just the drivers side. Should I put one on the passenger side as well?

Last edited:
Is the distributor seating all the way down on manifold? With no gasket can you check if dist base seats all the way down.

Milled block, heads or manifold or components that have dimensions that are off might not be letting Distributor tighten down correctly.
Nothing was milled on the block. The Distributor seems to seat all the way. I even tried another distributor and had the same issue. I also tried gaskets as stated above with no cure for this problem.

If you can see on the drivers side, I had to take the breather hose off the carb and let it hang down. The breather cap had a major vacuum leak so I put a plug on the carb. The passenger side has the regular twist on oil cap.

_nc_ohc=An6CTe5lRPMAX_OtQgP&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.jpg

If you can see on the drivers side, I had to take the breather hose off the carb and let it hang down. The breather cap had a major vacuum leak so I put a plug on the carb. The passenger side has the regular twist on oil cap.

View attachment 1475336
That is very wrong. You need to correctly get either a PCV and vent correctly set up or some type of vent system. The way you have it is most likely why your rear intake seal failed.

That is very wrong. You need to correctly get either a PCV and vent correctly set up or some type of vent system. The way you have it is most likely why your rear intake seal failed.
So I may have to pull the passenger valve cover and get a breather cap also?

Tim you need a pcv on one side and a breather on the other to get the pressure out.
As it's set up now you have your breather hooked to manifold vac.
it needs to pull inbound air , and can dbl. As a oil fill point.
the other cover needs to have a pcv .

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back