• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I need a regulator for an AVS at this pressure?

Secret Chimp

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the old BBD on my station wagon with a Performer manifold and a Carter AVS 4966S (625cfm) that I just finished rebuilding.

I checked my fuel pressure tonight and the pump is putting out a fat 7 psi at fast idle. I read somewhere that AFBs are set up to run on 5 psi - I couldn't find anything about pressures for AVSes. Some people claim the allowed range for bigger Hemi or performance 440 AVSes was as high as 8 psi.

Should I buy a pressure regulator before I try running this thing, or should it be OK? The little BBD has managed with this pump fine without flooding, but I don't want to be stuck walking to the parts store after my first fire on this thing.

Naw, you'll be fine. I'm running 7.5 PSI with my Eddy AFB.

The book says to stay in at 5.5 I have a reg on mine and it's fine. it came as a set so at 7 you should be fine. Do you have the dual feed line?

IMAG0029.gif

depends on the size of the needle and seats. .097 i'd keep it around 5-6lbs. .110 will take 7-7.5lbs.

If .110s are the "high flow" ones this one doesn't have them. It's a low-performance model off of a New Yorker.

If .110s are the "high flow" ones this one doesn't have them. It's a low-performance model off of a New Yorker.
if you just rebuilt it with new needle and seat you should be fine.1 or 2 psi will only bypass worn needle and seats,not new ones.

the original avs on my 69 r/t has the original needle and seats and they are .110. i was surprised because i thought they all were .097. edelbrock has a .110 needle and seat availiable that would work if needed. if your not having any issues then i wouldn't worry about it. if you have a stock type 2 valve fuel pump they only put out 5lbs max. maybe you have a "happy" pressure guage?

Back