• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I replace the upper ball joints

I get a considerable number of parts at O'Reilly's and some from NAPA. You can get good parts from either. NAPA is going to be higher to start with mainly because they usually have a higher grade of parts. When you go to O'Reilly's don't shop price, because if you do you will get the junk you are looking for. They also have higher grade parts, and I find that their good parts are a little less expensive than NAPA. Usually at O'Reilly's if you opt for their lifetime warranty parts you get the better part, but not always so be careful there. In some cases they charge a higher price for the same part with just a lifetime warranty. I'm fortunate that I know the store manager and he is always glad to point me in the right direction.

I know most of you know that the upper ball joints unscrew on a Mopar, but I have seen quite a few pressed out and the new ones tack welded in. If you find this a new upper control arm is in order. You would be surprised at the number of reputable shops that don't know this.

I am a firm believer in replacing while it is apart.

I’m on the side of replacing as well but these days if an old well made part still has life it will probably out last a new China made one for sure. These ball joints are so tight it takes a good deal of force to move them and they look to have been well maintained. I also agree the only way to really check suspension components like ball joints are with everything assembled.
I say all this to say to me it wouldn’t be the end of the world to change the upper ball joints if
they went south maybe a 2 hour job. Thanks for all of the replies.
Beekeeper

I’m on the side of replacing as well but these days if an old well made part still has life it will probably out last a new China made one for sure. These ball joints are so tight it takes a good deal of force to move them and they look to have been well maintained. I also agree the only way to really check suspension components like ball joints are with everything assembled.
I say all this to say to me it wouldn’t be the end of the world to change the upper ball joints if
they went south maybe a 2 hour job. Thanks for all of the replies.
Beekeeper
Just a note to let you know. I have one of my GTX'S that has the lower control arm bushings going south. I have not disassembled anything. Everything checks good otherwise. I already have a set of lower control arms ready to go and that's all that will be replaced. This car has 74K miles and nothing has been into mechanically. 53 years old and I trust it more than a lot of the others.

Auto Transport Service
Back