• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I want a 2003 Harley V Rod?

YY1

Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
There's one near me for 5K.

It checks the boxes for things I want in my next bike-

EFI

No spokes

Disk front and rear

No chain

Forward controls

Passenger seat

...and this one has factory styled hard bags

I'm not sure about riding position though. Guess I should ride it.

Anyone have one and can share plusses and minuses?

I understand it's over 100HP. That's a LOT for a bike.

My Intruder 1400 was IIRC 77 HP.

I had one as a loner once. My wife liked it because it was a smoother ride. You could leave it in second gear all day when just cruising around. No need to keep shifting. I prefer carburetors, banging gears and chain drive.
It’s just a matter of preference.

I don't know??? Do ya really??? Only you can pull the plug and get it...:lol::lol::lol::usflag::usflag::usflag:cr8crshr/Bill

I've got this one if you're interested. I bought it to ride around with some "older" friends, who have since aged too much, gotten ill, or just sold theirs. I only ride it a couple times a year now, so my cars could use the extra $$ in them...
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

Definitely get on the Bike! I can't be comfortable on a Harley, but that Bike may be different. I like
the idea that the engine is new technology, not the "Old School" design. What I do know is that
when we all go riding, the guys with the V-Rods have to stop a lot for gas! Oh Man, we can't go
anywhere far for fear of them getting stranded. I have a Yamaha FJR with electric shift. Love it.
I'm spoiled with a windshield, heated grips, hard bags, and, oh yeah, 169HP!

Have not ridden one, but it doesn’t have the signature Harley Twin sound.

I use to have a 2012 night rod. After 2010 they upgraded the horsepower to 125 at the crank. I had a k&n airfilter, a computer tuner, and Vance and Hines exhaust. It was putting 122hp to the ground. All of them but the streetrod (corner carver) and the destroyer (drag racer) had fowards. They are good bikes but unlike normal harleys require more regular maintenance (mainly valve adjustments every so often and it's water cooled)
20160522_123258-1.jpg

I loved it and the only reason I got rid of it was because when I moved back to MS from CO the roads were a lot more curvy and narrow than COs so I needed something more quick and nimble in the turns, so I traded it for a xr1200x
20190114_211959.jpg

If it has low miles on it I say get it. I had no trouble out of mine the 15,000 miles that I had it for

The biggest reason the bikes are going to water-cooling is emissions. It's easier to
keep everything under control when the engine is at a stable temperature. That's
why Caterpillar no longer make truck engines. All of their stuff is off-road/no emission problems!

The biggest reason the bikes are going to water-cooling is emissions. It's easier to
keep everything under control when the engine is at a stable temperature. That's
why Caterpillar no longer make truck engines. All of their stuff is off-road/no emission problems!
My kubota tractor is water cooled and has emission devices on it. The enviros are getting their dirty hands into everything

Bought an 03, rode it, sold it.
I would buy the blue one listed above over the V-Rod. Much more versatile.
John/WI.

Swapped my Soft Tail custom one day with my buddy after an hour on the road. Always wanted to try the V rod. After 30 minutes pulled over and said I wanted my bike back. Long ride comfort it aint. I could not imagine all day on one.

Any bike with your feet in front of your hands was not meant to be ridden.

Thanks for the info on valve adjustments.
Kind of hard to believe with all that other "modern tech" they don't have hydraulics.
Both my Intruders did.

V Rod is supposed to get 42 MPG.
That's pretty good for a 1200 twin.
My 800 Intruder got 45 all day no matter how you rode.
The 1400 got 38 if you rode it sedate and way less if you rode it hard.

I'm actually looking for a 2007 or newer 1200 Sporty.

I just happened to come across the V Rod accidentally.

No emissions on off road stuff?? Hahaha! Better look again. It is all over everything now.

Auto Transport Service
Back