• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do older torsion bars droop? (Ride height questions)

74sundancekid

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
My 1974 satellite has its original torsion bars (small block v8) and i am wondering if they droop over time and lower the ride height (and not by messing with the adjuster bolts)

I have scraping issues and am changing my hooker headers for some dougs d-453-b headers but i want to know if i should change the torsion bars out for a larger and newer set of bars to help get any extra height.

Let me know if i forgot any information thanks!

Normally the weakest link in the front suspension that affects ride height is the lower control arm bushings.

Torsion bars are springs, All springs are subject to wear and failure. One advantage to torsion bars is their adjustability. Even as they lose a little spring rate, you can crank them up a little to get the ride height back up a little.
They will continue to sag but you could buy a little time.
The thinner the bar, the less stored energy they can have. Thicker bars obviously wouldn't sag as much over time.
Does PST offer torsion bars for your year model? If so, they are a site sponsor. It is a good thing to patronize those that support the forum.

Do you have extra adjustment on the adjusting bolt. Crank it up then have the front end aligned. Mine are original to the car and do not have any issue with them.

:xscuseless: Just sayin'

It’s not a 74 and it’s not his but here’s a satellite. Now it’s not a worthless thread. Lol

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

Going to poly on the lower control arms are subject to noise. Most go rubber on the lowers and poly on the uppers.
The torsion bars are 50 years old. Well past design life.

Do you have extra adjustment on the adjusting bolt. Crank it up then have the front end aligned. Mine are original to the car and do not have any issue with them.
Jack it up and let the front wheels hang before you do. Always use jack stands.

Auto Transport Service
Back