• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these pieces replace points ignition?

sam dupont

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Got these at a farm sale. Will they replace points?

P1014936.jpeg
P1014944.jpeg
P1014949.jpeg

Partially. You still need a electronic distributor and wiring harness along with a ballast resistor.

Why couldn’t you remove the points breaker plate assembly and replace it with electronic plate and set the air gap with the brass feeler gauge as per spec? Ballast avail at parts store

Why couldn’t you remove the points breaker plate assembly and replace it with electronic plate and set the air gap with the brass feeler gauge as per spec? Ballast avail at parts store

Because you cannot trigger the electronic pickup with a points cam. You need a Reluctor. Will a reluctor swap onto a points distributor shaft? I don't think so, they mount differently.

Thought it odd no one makes a simple points dizzy conversion to Reluctor/Sensor similar to the Pertronix Ignitor Conversion set where an added Reluctor Ring fits over the points cam...Or maybe there Is a Points to Reluctor Conversation kit I'm Not aware of ??

The Reluctor cam will fit on a point shaft and vice versa. Mount exactly the same. Cap and rotor same too. That is the 5 pin so you need the harness, the reluctor cam, the dual ballast and you can convert your system.

I have a new 5 pin wiring harness for the ECU if you're interested PM me.

I put a Petronix in my Triumph in the days before anything else was available.
It had a shutter and a light.

Is this Module Chrome or Gold. Seems to be half and half. The box also came with 7mm wires and Autolite 85 plugs.

Hey D Slayer,...As I've not dissembled any factory distributor, I didn't know that a the factory Chrysler distributor Reluctor would simply direct interchange fit the older points shafts !! ....So it's that easy to convert the old '68 factory S/S dual Point, mech advance only, Tach drive dizzy to a Reluctor type ?? I've heard the Chrysler Reluctor/Sensor coil is directly compatible with GM Hei module ??

This is going off track quickly.

@HALIFAXHOPS can you please set this distributor thread back on track as to what will interchange?

The Reluctor cam will fit on a point shaft and vice versa. Mount exactly the same. Cap and rotor same too. That is the 5 pin so you need the harness, the reluctor cam, the dual ballast and you can convert your system.
Yes totally agree the shafts are the same but the advance cams are different Points have the lobes and electronic are machined for the reluctors, along with the housings most point housings have a hole for the points lead, 70? and up points have the slot that can be used for the pick up lead. Just not really a plug and play system interchange like you are thinking.

I always thought that the difference is both the reluctor and the distributor (aka "dizzy" for those that do not remember how to spell) position is that the electronic distributor's shaft and reluctor are match drilled on reluctor's bore's centerline and shaft O.D. to accurately locate the trigger "teeth or ridges" to correspond to the rotor's rotational position. Remember that the reluctor and the corresponding pick up's coil's pole piece, to create the pulse that causes the ECU to turn OFF, which in turn, turns off the coil's primary current which creates the spark. Rotational positions accuracy is of utmost importance, the small roll pin, shown in the photo, maintains this position. BTW.....a "dizzy" is a kissin' cousin of the "Eddy" manifold company......Just talking out loud.....
BOB RENTON

I always thought that the difference is both the reluctor and the distributor (aka "dizzy" for those that do not remember how to spell) position is that the electronic distributor's shaft and reluctor are match drilled on reluctor's bore's centerline and shaft O.D. to accurately locate the trigger "teeth or ridges" to correspond to the rotor's rotational position. Remember that the reluctor and the corresponding pick up's coil's pole piece, to create the pulse that causes the ECU to turn OFF, which in turn, turns off the coil's primary current which creates the spark. Rotational positions accuracy is of utmost importance, the small roll pin, shown in the photo, maintains this position. BTW.....a "dizzy" is a kissin' cousin of the "Eddy" manifold company......Just talking out loud.....
BOB RENTON
For those of you who don't know what cousin Eddie looks like:
1660328110863.png

I THINK I'm following. While possible to install the pickup and all, the weights and springs would be off.
So my best bet is find a Dizzy (I always thought that was an English term), and buy the guy's harness?

My Dad was 50 when he bought a new pickup in 1974. His first truck was a 1928 International with cable brakes. He had seen a lot of changes in automobiles in his life. For some reason, he had no confidence in electronic ignition. Maybe he had seen people have problems with the early stuff. He was very adamant when he ordered his Camper Special, it had to have points. What he didn't know was, all vehicles produced by the company had disc brakes and electronic ignition starting in 1974. I'll bet the salesman said: "No points, got it, what else?". Lucky for me, he said: "Everything!"
I have the pickup and a few years ago noticed a gold Module on the firewall. It was funny to me as he talked about it having points and I always thought it had points. He went to his grave never knowing he didn't have points.

I THINK I'm following. While possible to install the pickup and all, the weights and springs would be off.
So my best bet is find a Dizzy (I always thought that was an English term), and buy the guy's harness?

My Dad was 50 when he bought a new pickup in 1974. His first truck was a 1928 International with cable brakes. He had seen a lot of changes in automobiles in his life. For some reason, he had no confidence in electronic ignition. Maybe he had seen people have problems with the early stuff. He was very adamant when he ordered his Camper Special, it had to have points. What he didn't know was, all vehicles produced by the company had disc brakes and electronic ignition starting in 1974. I'll bet the salesman said: "No points, got it, what else?". Lucky for me, he said: "Everything!"
I have the pickup and a few years ago noticed a gold Module on the firewall. It was funny to me as he talked about it having points and I always thought it had points. He went to his grave never knowing he didn't have points.
Post 2

A "dizzy" feeling is a state of mind, while a distributor is an key item used to control and distribute the ignition system's spark voltage at the appropriate time, to the appropriate cylinder. Contributors to this forum generally speak American, which is a derivative of English, but sometimes tired, colloquial expressions, get intermixed with real words, leading to confusion which often results a dizzy feeling in the space between one's ears. Just a casual observation......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back