• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have a "nose" for sniffing out cars?

mpgmike

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
Years ago, I was with my brother driving a back road. There was this one lane that beckoned to me. I said to my brother, "There's a hot Mopar up that lane; I can just feel it." Of course he was thinking, "Yea right!!". We drove up the lane, found the house, didn't see anything, so we drove back further to find a place to turn around. Back behind the house, there it was... A 1970 Charger R/T SE, Plumb Crazy 4-speed!! My brother said, "You knew this was up here, didn't you??" Of course I didn't. Sadly, the lady of the house said it belonged to her son, in the military, deployed in [I think it was Grenada at the time], who was going to fix it up when he returned... It was not for sale.

Later, I was on my was on my way (with the same brother) to a property my wife & I bought as an investment, to work on it. There was road construction that totally shut down the flow of traffic. I remembered a side road a little while back that might lead to a way around the construction. On that side road, I found my '73 Road Runner; 400, 4-speed, full vinyl top, with Stat-o-vent. I bought it for a paltry $650; cheap even for then!

Years later, I said to my wife, "I'm going to drive back roads, find an '84-87 Charger or Rampage. Do you want to come with?" I ended up driving back some dirt lane and found an '84 Charger. I bought it by trading a 5.2 Magnum top end. The seller's wife was a Notary, so there weren't even any fees there! I basically got it for free!!

Over the years, I bought numerous cars that were off the beaten path. I had this "niggling" to drive back this road, and low-and-behold... Has this ever happened to you?

RR2.jpg 84charger.jpg

did for me years ago too ,but with the birth of the internet them times are pretty well gone up here in ont .

Yes. Sometimes I get an internal alarm that goes off and makes me go out of my way, or turn down a street I've never been on. 9 times out of 10...I find a new Mopar rotting away in a yard or driveway.

With my collection as it is the cars seem to find me. Too many people know me or about me, and make it a point to try and sell me something. If interested I will investigate, that's not doing any good for downsizing. Just last Saturday I was approached by a guy trying to sell me a 70 Coronet 4 door, 318 car. I looked at his pictures, but there were not enough good parts to make it worthwhile to haul in and part it out. He made a price, but I didn't even make a counter offer. I just wished him luck.

try and sell me something

I get approached at car shows because people know I have several Mopars. Early on I was offered a 1G Charger at a really low price and I turned it down. I was concentrating on 69's so didn't want to take funds away from that quest. Now that I know more about them I might reconsider but need to stay focused on what I'm working on.
I bought an A833 4 speed from a guy who offered it to me at a show. He must have needed the money because I didn't pay a lot for it.

Not sure if I have a "nose" for it or just find them because I'm always looking around when I'm in a town I've never been to or a country road I've never been on. This is the perfect time of year to hunt Mopars, no leaves on the trees yet.

We call it "RADAR" and one member of our group was so good at it, that was his nickname.

I do have it but it's not brand specific.

Just last week I turned a few streets earlier than my regular route and said to myself "this seems like the kind of neighborhood where old cars might be in the back yard".

Further in I saw a 56-ish ford pickup and a "Kennedy assassination" continental.

I seem to. Even to this day all 12 vehicles I have I got a great deal or I wouldn't have bought them. 1 was free. I don't buy with intentions to flip. I try to keep everything. Whatever I have sold over the years I always make money on them. I have only lost money on one vehicle my entire life my very first Ramcharger, but I four wheeled and beat the hell out of that truck. Was worth every penny.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!
Even as a kid, I had a hard time digging up any bargains. If it wasn't advertised in the newspaper or Tradin Times, I'd never would know of a car that was for sale.
I had some money burning a hole in my pocket from good part time jobs when I was in college in the early 80s and decided I wanted to find a hemi cuda or Challenger to buy, and it had to be within a days drive to go see. No luck.
According to Rob Wolf in MCG, back then they were "just used cars" and you'd find cars like that sitting at most every corner gas station for sale cheap. Looking back I still wonder if that was the case why I never saw any of them?

When I had a bike (73-86) I'd strap my helmet to the back of the bike for a better view and ride the neighborhoods and did find a lot of cars doing that. Saw many that I never did see while driving my pickup. Also had several things given to me over the years including engines, parts and whole cars.

Not sure if I have a "nose" for it or just find them because I'm always looking around when I'm in a town I've never been to or a country road I've never been on. This is the perfect time of year to hunt Mopars, no leaves on the trees yet.
The trees here are pretty much fully leafed out and the dang oak tree pollen was 10,700 yesterday!! Typically it's 3 to 4k...and grass and weed pollen is high too and yeah, I'm fighting it hard. Already had one allergy attack a couple of weeks back and ended up triple dosing my meds to kick it. Hate doing that but it's better than being sick. Got over it in 4 days and that's a record for me...

Nope I don’t have a car nose and been the guy always a day late on any finds. Envious of those who snagged barn cars some in cherry condition…like more recently a guy I know finding the ’64 post GTO 4sp with 25k original miles on it…for ten grand!

I used to practically trip over roadside relics and barns full of parts goodness. Haven't had much luck in that over the past few years, though. Probably just as well. I have a hand full keeping up with what I already have in the shop.

I had a call a little while back from my sister. Asking me about a car that their recently departed neighbour had in his drive shed. She knew a little bit about it but wasn't completely sure. It was a 1969. The neighbour purchased it new and then parked it in about 1970 because he was afraid of it. It showed just a bit over 10000 miles. It was blue with a black interior and she thought it was a GTX. Of course I was interested but I was a couple thousand miles away at the time. I asked to make sure that not too many people were told about it until it could be sorted out. Well, it turned out to be a 1969 Pontiac GTO Ram Air III. My sister's husband bought it as the neighbour wanted him to have it when the time came. This all just happened last fall. So they are still out their.

I always seem to pay high retail for my junk, but within a couple years, that high retail price looks like a decent bargain.

I find nice cars for other people.
Haven't found the right one for me yet

Took a ride, not far from where I live, and parked in a side yard was 1957 ford f100. It was all there, all glass was good. Cool truck. I didn't bother to ask about it.

Many of you know my story with the 68 X. I think I drove like two cars - largely because even back in 1971 I didn't think I would be able to gather the coin for a GTX. I remember driving a 67 cream colored convertible GTO that was just pristine - but also a complete a dog as far as the street racing scene was - and I just couldn't have that back then. It had to be a scream machine or nothing. I vaguely remember .testing out a 67 SS 396 Chevelle. Nice but just not my car. I wanted what I wanted and that's all I really ever wanted. Finally Nov of 71 - just turned 18 a month prior and she appeared in the paper. Drove out with a buddy late one night - he drove it because I was a bit chicken to take it to the top - he was always nuts and afraid of nothing. He beat the living **** out of it and she was indeed a screamer - as well as the 68 GTX I craved. I had 11 Benjamin's in my pocket. Went back peeled them off - the guy had a late night notary on the line - drove off that night with my first and only ride. I can truthfully say for the entire 48 years of ownership I had eyes for only one car - That one. Never even considered buying anything else after that. Sold it to another buddy from back in the day 2 yrs ago - and would never buy another muscle car - that was my one and only. Nothing could replace it no matter how fine. It was my blessing for all those years - now it's his. He had coveted that X for as long as I owned it. Thats why it went to him - for a steal. But that's what I wanted. So there you have it - no nose - just one lucky night and a lifetime of memories. I hope you all are or become as lucky as I was to have experienced such a thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back