• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have any smart birds in your area?

Hawks follow me when I bushhog my field and they grab rabbits when they try to escape the grass cutting
Yeah, out here on the ridges the redtails and other hawks circle most all day.
Majestic stuff to watch, although a couple times I've had them decide either that a)our dog was a bunny
or b)I looked tasty. :)
Nearsighted birds, I reckon.
When the big ol' eagles come out though, the hawks step aside.

I've seen fish heads and egg shells in our bird bath that crows have brought in from the neighbor's trash down around the corner. I think they like to dunk that stuff when they eat it.
I saw some birds (not sure which) bring stuff as offerings
little trinkets, stuff they likes sort of like a thanks, for the bath or seed etc.

we had a bird bath in-front of the house for a while,
I got tired of all the weeds, from their (seeds) droppings/their ****
we had a quite a few oddities showing up in the bird baths

my neighbor is glad it's gone now too
he's a Lt. Calif. Fish & Game Warden,
he has the same issue with the damn peckers as, I do :BangHead:
freaken' black Oaks/Acorns & damn Peckers they attract here,
are the real problem

Sonora Back property #1.JPG

they live in the trees right behind me, Sugar Pines
pecked the **** out of them for storage too
fortunately we now have Peregrines
& I hear a Red Tailed Hawk family, living back there now too
love the screeches the birds of prey make

fun to watch the peregrine swoop down & go after the peckers
poof & feathers fly
Sonora Back property #2.JPG

Last edited:
We get Sharp Shinned Hawks in our yard from time to time. Very shy birds, but I've seen them grab a mourning dove out of mid air before. Usually just see the feathers from where they got one.

I have my smart hen Biddy. She follows me around the yard and comes when I whistle, comes in the garage when I'm working in there and will keep me company when I'm working underneath one of the cars AND I get a fresh egg almost every day. I used to have two of them but a hawk got the other one.

344211226624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-xV5c03tdqkAX9nv4HQ&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

Yep, that's called "Gifting" birds, mostly crows, will bring little shiny objects as a thank you.
gift.jpg

The bird next door is pretty smart. She's a doctor I think , blonde, about 30.

Vermont has lots of crows. They are very clever. Our chickens are as well. There's some research about crows and Ravens having a shared consciousness/ hive like knowledge base. Every crow knows what every other crow who ever lived knew sort of thing.... interesting...

Auto Transport Service
Back