• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you leave your car unattended at shows and cruise-ins?

Do you leave your car unattended at shows and cruise-ins?

• Yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Sometimes - depends

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Never!

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Watching kids with bikes go between cars at shows [with no handgrips], has kept me near my car at most shows. The people with huge strollers are frightening. I caught 3 kids leaning on the fender of my silver car. It has acid-dipped fenders and lettered to stay off the fenders [that wasn't a nice back and forth]. It took more than 15 years, but some dickwad finally dented one fender at the Nats a couple years ago. Apparently they couldn't find their way around the tent pole next to the fender, and squeezed thru.

So yeah, I'm a bit cautious of leaving the cars completely unattended. We generally try to watch out for each other. The public isn't getting any smarter or more caring.

One year, a group of us Mopar guys went to the Woodworth Ave. Cruise 125 miles away in Detroit. We were lucky enough to get parking right in front of a restaurant. We spent the day looking at some of he cars there, and watching cars cruise past us on the street. Toward the end of the afternoon, we went in the restaurant to grab a quick meal before heading home. When I came out of the restaurant, I found a girl sitting on my rear fender, while her boyfriend was resting his elbow and a can of beer on my roof. I not so politely asked them to get the F*&K off my car. Boyfriend asked, "What's your problem?" I answered, "You two F*&KING A$$HOLE$!". I have never been back.
When you're mixed with a million people, in a society that's self absorbed....**** happens. Woodward is a literal zoo of beings from everywhere on the planet.

Last edited:
I only go to mabey 4 or 5 shows per summer. Most are small local cruise in type.
Only big one I get to is the Good Guys heartland nats in Des Moines each july 4th weekend.
Typical year sees 4000 plus cars.
I dont think twice about leaving my old mutt alone. In that sea of cars mine looks like a hooker at church.

Mine's an original survivor with at least 40 year old Earl Scheib mismatched paint on it (about a hand-sized section of mud over the drivers rear wheel, and sixteen paint-swatch-thumbprints on the driver door jamb where they tried - and failed - to match F4, gave up, and painted the whole damn car). So yea...it sits on its own. I have a cooler of water and a chair if I get tired of wandering the swaps or looking at other (nicer) cars...but for the most part she's fine on her own! Shows, grocery store, Lowe's (headed there in a bit to get some hardware for a '71 Honda CB350F I'm rebuilding for a buddy), pizza store...no worries. If things look sketchy when I park, I'll disconnect the battery. One thing I've learned over the years - if they want it bad enough...they're gonna get it, no matter what you do. I have photos of the car (and the year of manufacture plates) on my phone, just in case I have to make that call.

But driving it, and enjoying it, take precedence for me.

Used to go to a lot of shows/meets. My ‘priorities’ have changed and maybe not for the better as I think of all the chit I got to do and being retired, still lots of stuff that bugs me that needs doing. Doesn’t help that my daughter bought a house built in 1881 and is in about as good of shape as the age. House is listed in the city's historical site or something like that. And she lives 220 miles away. Spent the past week there fixing stuff that an old man like me shouldn’t be doing anymore having been fixed myself with surgeries. Tons of lead paint and yeah, some asbestos. Grr...

But, I get some kicks gawking at my old ride in the garage after having restored it. Don’t get tired of looking at it.

As for shows a couple of buddies and I go to, we like to get there early and be gone by 11 or so to go do – chit that needs doing.

Used to go to a lot of shows/meets. My ‘priorities’ have changed and maybe not for the better as I think of all the chit I got to do and being retired, still lots of stuff that bugs me that needs doing. Doesn’t help that my daughter bought a house built in 1881 and is in about as good of shape as the age. House is listed in the city's historical site or something like that. And she lives 220 miles away. Spent the past week there fixing stuff that an old man like me shouldn’t be doing anymore having been fixed myself with surgeries. Tons of lead paint and yeah, some asbestos. Grr...

But, I get some kicks gawking at my old ride in the garage after having restored it. Don’t get tired of looking at it.

As for shows a couple of buddies and I go to, we like to get there early and be gone by 11 or so to go do – chit that needs doing.
220 miles! I don't know where you are from Ron but that must be a north-south trip in WI lol

All my nice cars are sold off. I have six toy cars and they are all driver-quality or worse, and once race car. I drive them everywhere, all year long as the weather allows with no worries, so I actually consider a cruise-in or show a safe haven and worry even less.

220 miles! I don't know where you are from Ron but that must be a north-south trip in WI lol
Yep, live about 20 miles from Milwaukee and daughter is in Eau Claire.

I used to have a sign..."touch me in all the right places".

Got that idea from an ex GF

It would depend on which car I brought to the show. I have some cars that I worry about more than others.

Yep, live about 20 miles from Milwaukee and daughter is in Eau Claire.
It might be a little out of your way, but next time you go visit your daughter there is a restaurant in Nelson Wi. Called Beth’s Twin Bluff. You will be hard pressed to find a better breakfast for the money

I leave mine all the time. I pull the trunk bulb out, take the keys, don't leave anything valuable inside and go look at cars. A lot of participants sit by their cars all day and gab.

I got stuck at the last show after coming back to the car for a bottled water. These folks next to us had a lot to talk about lol.

But yea, we bring chairs to relax at times but roam around, especially when the red and white tool truck shows up and I feel obligated to peruse the tools.
20230401_093022.jpg
20230401_093638.jpg
20220304_121619.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, why go to a show and sit with your car all day ? I did that for years getting it on the road again. Go ahead and steal it...it's insured.

Auto Transport Service
Back