• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like Caddys?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
I was pretty young the first time I was introduced to a Cattle-rag and from what I remember, it was a 49 that my uncle had. Thinking my age was about 6 or 7 and remember that there was a LOT of space in the back and there was plenty of room on the back floor board to play with little cars lol. Just sitting on the edge of the seat and falling back, my head wouldn't even hit the seat back. Anyways, been looking at some from that era and came across a 56 De Ville and man, much nicer Cad! Yeah, that would be my 2nd choice vs a 300!

I do :) I was building a 57 Eldorado Brougham as a resto mod. Ended up selling that and bought a 59 Convertible. Beat up but rebuilt drivetrain and brakes. Great car to drive.

dGiKNk.jpg

I like the big fin caddies of the late fifties and early sixties. Now some of the current ones are really breaking from Caddy tradition by being pretty high performance and I have to say that I like them, as well. It just seems that every new one I see is black, kind of boring.

I do :) I was building a 57 Eldorado Brougham as a resto mod. Ended up selling that and bought a 59 Convertible. Beat up but rebuilt drivetrain and brakes. Great car to drive.

View attachment 1018040
A next door neighbor where I used to live had a 59 Eldo rag top......and I watched it rot for the whole time I lived there which was 11 years from 73 through 84! Last time I heard he sold it for decent money but not like it would have been if he had kept it up.

Yeah the 59 Eldo's sell for crazy money. One rusted out project went for I believe around 60k????

GM's experimental division!

The wife on my old 69 I used to have

michi cady .jpg

Have you noticed that in 'The Matrix: Reloaded' garage scene, every car in there is a Cadillac.
168150-55.jpg
168148-089.jpg
168149-090.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
cd.jpg

Say what? I've heard that more than once and never knew what it means....
If there's something new, some new gadget, a new way of doing things, Cadillac was the division where it showed up first. Once the bugs were worked out the other divisions got it in a year or two.

I like the old Chryslers way better than old Caddy's

56-58 Eldorado were sort of cool
the 59 HT or convertible is cool,
I'd rather have a 65 Riviera than any of the Caddy's

some of the newer Caddy's are performance-oriented, pretty cool
I like a couple the XR (Corvette basically with Cad. badges) was sporty

the 70's & 80's Caddy's were crap
my neighbor used to collect mid-late 70's Eldorado convertibles
they were sort of OK
mid 90's with the Northstar V8 started to be 'a little better'
I'm just not a fan of FWD

early Caddy's 50's & earlier do/did nothing for me

My Dad had a gold w/black convertable top 66 Deville. So hell yeah I like Caddy's! 440'

KIMG0424.JPG
KIMG0432.JPG
KIMG1270.JPG
KIMG1272.JPG

First is my 38 caddy I've been playing with for some years .
The second is a 56 that I just bought factory ac and power windows!

ebay2477721.jpg

This is going to be the end result for my 38
3" chop removed 10" out of rear doors weld solid add 7" to front doors suicide hinges . remove 3" out of length of car .
Also adding air ride .
Putting a Chevy small block and t5 manuel trans and a/c

If there's something new, some new gadget, a new way of doing things, Cadillac was the division where it showed up first. Once the bugs were worked out the other divisions got it in a year or two.
Oldsmobile too. Olds had their OHV V8 the same year as Cadillac (1949), had the automatic a year before Cadillac and introduced the FWD Toronado platform a year before the Eldorado used it.

Auto Transport Service
Back