• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Own Big Block MP Valve Covers?? Please Read This ... and Share

IMGP3701.JPG
These pics taken last week
IMGP3644.JPG

Last edited:
Same story here...MP covers leaked no matter which gasket installed. Over winter in dry storage, the passenger side cover front tang appears to have cracked, and it was not over-tightened. I am prepping the original steel covers for a return to service and yes, the bolts will be torqued to spec. 383 with factory exhaust manifolds and heads. Does anyone else have to use a thin-walled 7/16" socket on the centre outside valve cover bolt on the passenger side valve cover?
I switched to allen head bolts and washers to solve the problem with the socket on the bolt not fitting..

Last edited:
way back many moons ago (... 2002-ish?) I snapped the dog ear off of the first pair of these that I bought.. I thought I just over-torqued it
Same here, but around 2015. In my case it was leaking after changing the cam and I just snugged it down a bit more. The leak did not stop so another snug and SNAP. It was the outside right rear corner. After buying a new set I used RTV on both sides of the gasket so I did not have to torque them very much. I too blamed myself. Perhaps I was wrong.

Last edited:
On another note:
IMO if you use the rubber gaskets, with the metal inners, like ones from Moroso,
IMO it will help to stave off cracking while installing them, less chance of distortion
always install in an "in to out/cross pattern" when tightening, may help also,
use a 1/4" drive tool also, less leverage, less chance of distortion from over tightening,
possibly it will help, to not over tighten them...

I also use a barrel nut on studs, makes for easier access
I also use a washer under them to help to distribute
much of the clamping forces over a greater area...

68 RR #28 479ci-6bbl #6 AN spacers front.JPG

thanks again cudachick

It's my pleasure gentlemen and Marilyn (welcome to FBBO by the way)! If all this stuff I do every day helps even just one person along the way, then it was a success.

Last edited:
Not sure they do recommend a torque figure but the fastener gets one. Thing I like to do is snug em down enough to where there's nothing leaking. Btw, I've seen M/T's with the same problem. Also, sometimes it's the gasket surface of the head that is the problem and people will keep on cranking down on the screws to make them seal. One head I saw was actually leaking BELOW the gasket surface! Casting flaws are not all that uncommon with heads or cast aluminum valve covers.

I've found plenty of other cast aluminum covers that were cracked or broken too but was hard to tell if they had casting flaws to start with. It pays to inspect any cast aluminum product be it Mopar or MT. I'm betting they are made in China now a days too?
I have a set of M/T that will never get used again as they dont even begin to match the head matting surface at the dog ears and they are old castings.

Auto Transport Service
Back