• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you wear your Seat Belt?

Always ... even back in the 60's when there were only lap belts... and anybody that doesn't is foolish.

I've been wearing them since approx 1983 when I joined the AF. I got used to it and understood the safety factor. My Dad used to kid me a little when I was home on leave when I put it on just to drive across our small town .. later he wore his just as religiously thank goodness. It's automatic for me and I don't even think about it.

My younger brother was killed in a car wreck and probably would have survived had he been wearing a seat belt. He was thrown out and and wound up under the car that crushed him.

Similar to you, started wearing it when I joined the Navy in `84 and it was mandatory. 21 years of 'mandatory' and it just becomes habit. That and I know plenty of people who have had accidents and said they wished they had a seatbelt on...they would have sustained less injury if they had. It's a no brainer now.

Started out at 17 (a whole bunch of years ago) wearing one all the time. By the time I was 20 I was the greatest driver in the world. I could out drive just about anyone and get out of any situation. Fast forward about 8 years and I was driving my Pontiac Fiero home from work, minding my own business, when a guy came sliding around a corner and hit me head on. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, just spilled my beer, but from that day forward I won't move a car without putting on a seatbelt. Oh yeah, and no more sipping on a beer while driving either.

I have broken my collarbone and separated same shoulder, so tend not to wear belt in modern vehicles.
Interestingly, I find that I do always use lap belt when driving my MoPar. Kind of helps lock me into the seat to be more a component of the vehicle than just a passenger.
Also reduces sliding side to side in the seat when cutting corners hard....

My Ram has an annoying red dash light that won't go off unless I put one on. So I do. When I drove a Chevy, the light blinked for a minute than went out. So I didn't.

I do in my 73, It only has one across my lap, my wife's car trys to strangle you as far as im concerned, but i do wear them as i can not afford a ticket and i haven't had a ticket since i was 18, hate to break that streak.

In all the modern cars, yes. In the roadrunner, I wear the lap belt only. The shoulder belt is like an ancient decapitation device for me if I was in an accident in that thing. I will take my chance with the steering wheel versus turning my head into a bowling ball.

Always do and always have. Ironic thing is a lot of guys who would tell you they don't are no longer with us.

I wear mine in the semi (annoying ding..ding...ding......) if I don't. When i'm in my p/u, it's about 50-50. If the wife and I go out of town, I usually put it on. Not sure if it's just our town or the whole state of iowa, but the state troopers can't just pull you over for not wearing one, the have to see other reasons to stop you also.

Always do in the "modern" vehicles but never do in the Charger. Should but don't.

I've been wearing them since approx 1983 when I joined the AF. I got used to it and understood the safety factor.
Well I started doing the same back in 81 as stated above. Yeah, I hated it at first but now I feel naked if it's not on. In the old cars I kinda feel naked with just the lap belt and no shoulder belt. If race car drivers wear them, why not you? Don't give me some sob story about speed either, just do it and be done with it!
I want to see seat belts on motorcycles!:rofl::rofl::icon_eek:

I have broken my collarbone and separated same shoulder, so tend not to wear belt in modern vehicles.
Interestingly, I find that I do always use lap belt when driving my MoPar. Kind of helps lock me into the seat to be more a component of the vehicle than just a passenger.
Also reduces sliding side to side in the seat when cutting corners hard....

The 5 Point makes much more sense.... :icon_winkle:

It depends. I wear mine if it's bad weather or when I'm planning on some "spirited" driving, but if it's nice out and I'm headed to work, no. I got i a low-speed crash a couple years ago (some high-schooler turned left in front of me) and I was fine.

I always wear it. I've seen a fair number of dead people outside the car who most likely would have lived if they'd worn it and stayed inside.

Auto Transport Service
Back