• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DoctorDiff

1966satellite

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Powr-Lok clutch pack for my 8 3/4 rear end from Doctor Diff. When I received it it had 4 flat clutch discs, 4 flat plates and 2 curved plates. The service manual calls for 2 flat discs and 2 curved ones. My sure grip has 2 flat and 2 dished discs. Does anyone know if the 4 flat ones can be used. When I call Doctor Diff to ask I get a recording saying to e-mail them. I've e-mailed 3 times and haven't heard back from them.

He hasn't been answering the phone since the whole Covid thing started, but has always been quite prompt returning emails, even on weekends. Maybe he is out of town at a show?

From Doc Diff:

2 types of clutch packs are available. The "smooth" version includes dished plates, the "aggressive" version includes dished plates and dished discs.

Starting at the clutch hub:
1. Flat plate with ears
2. Flat disc
3. Dished plate with ears (ID facing away from clutch hub)
4. Flat disc or dished disc (ID facing away from clutch hub)
5. Thin flat plate with ears (OEM only) Repro power-locks use thick flat plate with ears

Prelube clutch pack with straight friction modifier. Torque case-half bolts to 50 lbs with red Loc-Tite.

He hasn't been answering the phone since the whole Covid thing started, but has always been quite prompt returning emails, even on weekends. Maybe he is out of town at a show?
Probably the Indy Cylinder Head show.

From Doc Diff:

2 types of clutch packs are available. The "smooth" version includes dished plates, the "aggressive" version includes dished plates and dished discs.

Starting at the clutch hub:
1. Flat plate with ears
2. Flat disc
3. Dished plate with ears (ID facing away from clutch hub)
4. Flat disc or dished disc (ID facing away from clutch hub)
5. Thin flat plate with ears (OEM only) Repro power-locks use thick flat plate with ears

Prelube clutch pack with straight friction modifier. Torque case-half bolts to 50 lbs with red Loc-Tite.

The kit I received contains 2 thin plates and 4 thick plates. Is it ok for me to those plates and the flat discs in my unit?

I recently purchased a Powr-Lok clutch pack for my 8 3/4 rear end from Doctor Diff. When I received it it had 4 flat clutch discs, 4 flat plates and 2 curved plates. The service manual calls for 2 flat discs and 2 curved ones. My sure grip has 2 flat and 2 dished discs. Does anyone know if the 4 flat ones can be used. When I call Doctor Diff to ask I get a recording saying to e-mail them. I've e-mailed 3 times and haven't heard back from them.
Update: Doctor diff got back to me and said the parts are interchangeable.

Auto Transport Service
Back