• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dodge Dakota Shock Installation Horrors

Dibbons

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
OK, just completed a 3,000 mile road trip on the '96 Dakota 4X4 which now has 299,000 miles on the odometer. It was a very bouncy trip, so purchased some new front Monroe shocks (34790) to replace the old Monroe shocks (37068) thru Rock Auto.

Decided to grease the front suspension while I was at it. Only a couple of zerk fittings would accept grease. Had to replace all of 'em to get that chore done.

Now when it comes time to install the shocks, we find the hole in the lower shock bushing is only 12.00 mm in diameter while the hole in the old shock bushing is a hefty 13.2 mm. The factory bolt is 1/2 inch (about 12.5 mm). The Monroe box and shock have the same part number (34790) and the box is printed "Made in USA"-- Well, Whoop-De-Doo that does me a lot of good when I can't finish the installation!

IMG_0260.jpg

Take them back. Apparently Monroe screwed up.

And your safety pin is about to come out of that wheel in the background.

Take them back. Apparently Monroe screwed up.

And your safety pin is about to come out of that wheel in the background.
I've had a wheel blow off an engine stand like that. Not fun.
Good eye! :thumbsup:

OK, just completed a 3,000 mile road trip on the '96 Dakota 4X4 which now has 299,000 miles on the odometer. It was a very bouncy trip, so purchased some new front Monroe shocks (34790) to replace the old Monroe shocks (37068) thru Rock Auto.

Decided to grease the front suspension while I was at it. Only a couple of zerk fittings would accept grease. Had to replace all of 'em to get that chore done.

Now when it comes time to install the shocks, we find the hole in the lower shock bushing is only 12.00 mm in diameter while the hole in the old shock bushing is a hefty 13.2 mm. The factory bolt is 1/2 inch (about 12.5 mm). The Monroe box and shock have the same part number (34790) and the box is printed "Made in USA"-- Well, Whoop-De-Doo that does me a lot of good when I can't finish the installation!

View attachment 1633141
I was looking at Monroe OESpectrum shocks for my 98. How did you like them?

Auto Transport Service
Back