• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anybody else here do this ....

Small block doesn't have this issue.

Sure, the filter can be overfull and drain when you take it off, but it drips straight down, not on top of anything.
Both my A bodies drain all over the torsion bar. They engineers that were in charge of oil filter location needed to have coffee with the guys that were in charge of chassis and talk about this stuff.

I use a gallon jug. (Without the green cap of course)

20170711_104004.jpg

20170711_103811.jpg

20170711_103733.jpg

Changing the oil filter with a huge sway bar is a pisser too. The '70 model had the sway bar inside the K member so I never have to deal with that with my own cars.

The Dodge 4.7 had one. My 2002 Dodge had the 4.7 and I was impressed with it. The filter was in about the same place as the 440.

With a big plastic shield across the whole underneath. A five inch hole to stick your hand up into. Guess where my shield went :)

You want stupid for a drain location... here it is! Wife's Challenger.
2018f150oilchangeapril142023 003.jpg
2018f150oilchangeapril142023 005.jpg
2018f150oilchangeapril142023 006.jpg

As for filter changes, I use the same piece of aluminum that I have for years whether it's the old cars or an aircraft engine..
beeoilchangesept252021 018.JPG

crid701may2014 009.JPG

Last edited:
I have something like that above ^^^ just a bent piece of aluminum
to divert it into a drain pan
Cardboard is a great idea too, in a pinch :thankyou: RC

albeit my dual remote filters on my current car
I made a different one to drain it, up on the inner fender
not much leaks if I'm careful, they are vertical

old photo
68 RR #24 479ci-6bbl org. ps.JPG

My 18 Cram "Hemi" is no better, filter dumps all over the front diff and solenoid with not much room. I hold a plastic bag in my hand to capture it. Engineers are a special lot, if you meet one though the first thing they will announce to you is "I'm an engineer" like they figure you don't want to kick them in the junk for being one.

..or our F150's with the built in plastic drip tray that lets the oil run both forward and backwards onto the floor.

I do the same myself.
Also for a couple of Chevy trucks I own so oil doesn't get on the front drive shaft and leave an oil spot in the driveway post oil change.
And a '93 GM V6 that I own as well. I do the cardboard trick with that one too. Oil filter is accessed via passenger front wheel well and the filter is located directly above the frame, draining directly onto it.
My 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins has the filter access in the right front wheel well. I have found it is easier to just take the wheel off. The hole is just big enough for one hand and that 2 qt filter is a handful trying to get it out of there. It dumps oil all over the frame as there is no way to get anything in to catch the oil when changing the filter. What a PITA.

I was there with Nate. It blew up when he was doing his burnout. It's a good thing I towed it rather than he drove it.
No doubt, you guys were able to make a quick getaway! The 4.88 gears would have made the three hour drive a real pleasure! I miss the A12 Super Bee, it was a blast to drive. It's in the middle between the Charger R/T SE and the Little Red Express truck. I still have the Charger and the truck.

20230825_081408.jpg

Last edited:
I have been working in the engine bay of one of my Chargers and you are correct! It is heavily coated with grease,oil and sludge. It's perfectly preserved, even encapsulated! I was covered in grime,and so were my clothes when I climbed out of there! My wife wasn't amused and was even more pissed off when she did the laundry! She soaked my jeans in dawn dish soap for days!

Auto Transport Service
Back