• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Motor Oil Go Bad?

On the opposite end of the spectrum-

My last work truck was a new 2017 Ram 5.7 Hemi Quad cab 4x4. It was fleet maintained and got it's oil changed once a year. I drove it for 4 years for a total of 361K. I asked the fleet manager why don't you change it sooner? His answer was $$$, and we just don't see any oil related engine failures. That truck was still running like new and still didn't leak or burn any oil. They used Pennzoil Synthetic Ultra Platinum.
Amazing engine.
I used to do oil samples and read BITOG all the time. Then I noticed two contractors I know who didn’t fool with oil changes. Turns out you don’t need to put near the worry in, so I don’t anymore. Something other than the engine will fail and you can just use that down time to do the oil change. We keep our cars much much longer than most people and I started letting them go a couple years or more. Just wait until it’s convenient to bother with it. The newest one we have requires warranty work for something other than the engine often enough that it just got its first change other than a warranty visit this year.

My hobby car gets a change every year, I don’t trust a carb car like I do efi, I’m probably being paranoid about that one though.

something I’ve also done is just change the filter and top off on things that are getting older. Sure I used to get all worked up about carbonic acid, sludge, whatever. Spent a lot of time and money I didn’t need to. If somebody wants to go to the trouble, it won’t hurt.

Guys freak out about this stuff. I choose not to. I have a mower that about ten years old that still has the break in oil in it that it came with. The wheels are about to fall off. Maybe I’ll worry about the oil when that happens. My experience tells me to worry about the coolant and the brake fluid before the oil.

I inherited a bunch of jugs of old trans fluid from my neighbor. I use it in the trans of my little convertible, no problems yet. They’re still sealed, and come out looking clear red. I think it’s ok, not much can happen to hydraulic fluid.

Auto Transport Service
Back