• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the column mounted gear selector light up?

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
Just curious.
I'm doing a major re-wire.
I've found several errors in the factory prints from the 67 manual.
(Now I'm installing a custom fabricated fuse block)

I see no provision for lighting on a column mounted gear selector in the prints.
I feel sure if it does light up it will be from the usual place through the turn signal switch connector with 12 volts.

For reference.
Oscillator HV only goes to the following in the 67 factory prints:
1.The gauge cluster
(E2 which inexplicably changes to E3 before it gets to the gauge cluster plug connector).

2. It also feeds the A/C and Heater control connector ( Wire E3B also changes to E3C for no reason)

3. And lastly, it feeds the radio via an "18 white" wire
That's all I see.

Those three things are on the HV side of the oscillator circuit.

Now, the orange 12 Volt feed circuit to the oscillator does initially goes to the turn signal switch plug ( E2A and E2B at pin "5" on the plug).
And then it makes the connection there at pin 5 and goes on to feed the oscillator 12 volts (E2B).
But there is no wire showing on the other plug side of pin 5 on the turn signal switch plug as though it would feed a 12 volt light on the gear selector.

So the above question.....

Last edited:
I just finished my 65 column rebuild and it had a lamp attached to the screws that hold the turn signal switch to the column.
Mike

The white wire would be for the radio illumination and is EL. That has something like 220 volts so you wouldn't want to use that for radio power (12 v) ... just sayin'

The orange wire is for the dash lights. Should be separate orange wire going up the column for the gear indicator.

The white wire would be for the radio illumination and is EL. That has something like 220 volts so you wouldn't want to use that for radio power (12 v) ... just sayin'

Mine doesn't have 220 on it.
In fact the white wire is coming out of the car.
Tried two power packs which were bad and just decided to modernize the whole car.

The orange wire is for the dash lights. Should be separate orange wire going up the column for the gear indicator.

I don' t doubt you.
But it's not on the 67 factory manual prints.
I think the prints were an afterthought on several fronts.
This particular car would not have had an automatic column mounted shift in it anyway.
And there are no "extra" orange wires on the harness.
Hence, my ignorance and question.

I found a hidden AGC fuse holder feeding the emergency flasher.
The owner would have never found it.
The power source for the flasher was not correct on the prints either.
The prints show it coming off of the brake light switch.
Instead, it came off of the always "hot" splice buried in the wiring harness in the dash.
I've posted that on here before in case someone has a dead flasher.
I'm sure as long as all the lights worked when the car left, the factory didn't care about accuracy.

Last edited:
The wiring diagrams in my 67 FSM shows the orange wires for the dash lights. Also shows the wire going to the gear indicator lamp on the column in the #5 terminal of the turn signal harness connector but does not indicate the color. So it is not a separate harness like the later cars.

I found the missing light.
Chrysler hid it on figure 3 in the body wiring.
E2 appear to goes to the left kick panel plug and then through a 6 pin plug before finally arriving at the automatic transmission gear selector.
Mystery solved.
I don't think my car has the 6 pin plug in it.

My 65 Coronet.
Mike
IMG_1953.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back