• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

Sorry Matt, this is terrible news. I hope you and your wife find comfort knowing KC loved you both and vise versa. Sounds like KC had the best life possible thanks to you and your wife. (Tears are falling for you guys) take care buddy.

Been there, done that. I feel for you. The pair that crossed the bridge in 2/21 made the crossing together. My wife found a mobile vet that would come by and do the deed. Both of the dogs would get freaked out even going to the regular vet so this was a great discovery. Let them go peacefully at home. RIP.

To be pretty good at the end and go fairly quick is we all hope for. He has you holding him. They earn that.

I can deeply understand the grief we all share here.

we have a special tribute room for our departed babies.

We also had are 2 pups cremated after we lost them.

There remains were placed into 2 divided boxes.

When the wife & I pass we will each take both of them to a happier place!

Who sez you can't take them with you....?:)
Oscar & Zorro 001.JPG
Oscar & Zorro 007.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. He passed at about 12:15est. The vet was great. Hats off to them for doing the hardest job. I spent about 3 hours digging his grave. We brushed him, put his favorite toys in his food dish (he was a real chow hound), and some leaves from the woods where he loved to take walks with his brother and sister. It was raining/snowing out so my tears just made the clay stickier. He was the greatest dog ! Always happy ! I can't seem to find my happy now.

Thanks everyone. He passed at about 12:15est. The vet was great. Hats off to them for doing the hardest job. I spent about 3 hours digging his grave. We brushed him, put his favorite toys in his food dish (he was a real chow hound), and some leaves from the woods where he loved to take walks with his brother and sister. It was raining/snowing out so my tears just made the clay stickier. He was the greatest dog ! Always happy ! I can't seem to find my happy now.
He was always happy because his family was always there for him.
Know that he wants the same for his family. He will always be there for you if you let him.

God bless you Matt. All of us here wish you happiness very soon. He is still close by you, just in a different way. Sounds like he was a great companion. He did his job. Good boy.

I am embarrassed to say that we finally (actually, the girlfriend) figured out this guy's poor behavior. He's deaf. Maybe why his ears don't stand up.... he doesnt use em.

20220921_114414.jpg

20220825_164646.jpg

Sad to hear Sky, been there lots of times and will be going through more. The last time the wife and I (mostly me) lasted a month before we got another dog to to fill the void.
The house was just too quite so we got another baby soul to love. Get yourself another little soul you can love and you will be happy for it.

Sorry to hear this Mr Skytrooper. Can't really add much of anything other than "I feel your pain." Been there, done that, and its awful.
When my/our "special, once in a lifetime dog" passed, It was over 5 years before I could bring another one home. And quite frankly, I wasn't really ready even then... but the Mrs was tired of no dog, so we did. New puppy is great -as were all the other dogs we've ever had - but I 'get' what youre saying about that 'one'.
Bless you

A little off the subject

I love dogs because they are such willing partners in love & happiness.

A path I follow.............. with a lots of grins :>)

IF I win the lotto I would donate 100% to the Humane Society........... in Michigan.

All the forgotten & unwanted dogs........... they want to be fed & loved too!

:p

Last edited:
Well, today will be the end of an era. Today my eldest pup K.C. Is crossing the “Rainbow Bridge”. He has had growing weakness in his hips and legs. He has a degenerative area of his spine below the rib cage. Then he took a nasty fall a day or two after Christmas getting out of the car at the park. He hurt his front shoulder and back. The vet gave us a couple meds for him…pain and nerve meds. The idea being that the drowsiness would keep him quiet so he could heal. Unfortunately, while his injuries seem to have healed, it allowed his rear end to get weaker.
He has slowly regressed to the point that it is virtually impossible to get up. He did get up yesterday around noon to go outside, but he was very weak and stumbly. He did a slow fall once. My wife assisted him to his feet so he could continue his business.
Last night he was in some discomfort. We got him comfortable and he had a peaceful night. He will not get better from this and we do not want him to suffer. Thankfully the meds seem to keep him in a good place pain wise.

I said that this will be the end of an era. I say that for countless reasons. Out of all the pups we have owned, and currently own…he was very special. He just had this joy to him that was infectious. He was that once in a lifetime dog. We have been blessed to have him.

Now, we have to part, and it hurts so bad. I should probably drink a gallon or two of water so that I don’t dehydrate from the tears.

Thankfully the vet is coming to the house. He will pass in his living room. Calm, comfortable, and at ease.

We love you K.C. !!! Run free and play with the gang !
View attachment 1404803
Thoughts are with your family, sir.

Thanks Matt. I'm blessed. I have four nice looking (and nice) shepherds.
Got my first dog ever, at 65. Don't know what I'd do without them now.

KC was my first true shepherd. We got him from the humane society when he was just under 6 months old. He was a stray picked up in another part of the state. He showed his appreciation everyday. He was scared of loud noises (thunder, lawn mowers, fireworks,...etc). I think that as such a young stray that he must have been terrified.

He was actually my daughter's dog. She chose him and paid for him. He got to be my wife and my dog 3 years later when my daughter moved south to pursue her equestrian competition dreams. He became my wife's shadow which is the shepherd way of showing the world who their favorite person is, but I was a damn close 2nd. I retired for the last time 2 years ago and we were tight ! Both dogs and I went to the park everyday for a mile plus walk....rain or shine (Tilly joined us in March 2022), the older ones had seemed to have tired of the 3 acres they have under Invisible Fence. Their home domain included a pine woods, apple orchard, creek, the barn (with horses), and the yard. Now you would think that would be enough, but they found great joy in the walks and all the good scents.

KC loved apples and if the horses nudged a piece out of their feed buckets...KC was there almost before they struck the floor. His favorite thing , in the world...besides being with my wife, was to go in the orchard and grab a fallen apple. He would trot down to the yard to eat them, in the same spot. That is where I buried him. As he got older and less capable of the long walks, I shortened them, but added a walk around the perimeter of their boundary line. I had started buying bags of apples so he could have them everyday. The other pups like them enough, but KC loved them !

I am guilty of spoiling my dogs. If they rode around with me to run errands, I would buy a slim jim beef stick. I would peel it back about 2 inches at a time and they would gently take their bites like that until it was gone. KC, probably due to his past as a stray, was very food oriented. My wife channeled that by getting some brain teasers where you hid treats and he had to figure out how to get them. He was a master right off the bat. We had to get tougher and tougher ones, but he made them look easy.

KC had a love of all living things that was a joy to behold. He never hurt a fly, well maybe when they bugged him just a little too much. He never bit any animal or person, never even seemed to have crossed his mind. All of our cats would snuggle with him because he was big and warm. He always barked when he saw wlker, joggers, and bikers go by our property. He was just doing his job. No malice, just letting folks know it was his property.
When we had horses, he used to herd them to the barn from the pastures for every meal. That was really cool, but I worried he would get kicked or trampled. Thankfully that never happened. The horses were really calm around him in the barn. He would go in their stalls and check on them. They would stand easy and sometimes touch muzzles with him.

Anyway, I could go on and on and on with KC stories. I will spare everyone that...this diatribe is long enough, but I have to thank everyone for all the thoughts and prayers. Writing these thoughts of my boy KC has been a real cathartic for me, and I have only welled up a couple of times.

Thank you all and God bless you for the kindness in my hour of need !

Auto Transport Service
Back