• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

4th fireworks here are legal, and sold 24/7/365. I was surprised how little commotion went on, I think one of my dogs barked once , for about 15 sec. I guess they are used to the gunfire. (We have an area about a half mile away where shooting is legal.

Handed out two new squeekers today, the hearing dogs went crazy, the deaf one didn't care. I have bought countless balls for them, and they either destroy them so they get thrown away, or lose interest. There's 10 sitting in the middle of the yard that haven't moved in a week.
But these are GSD proof. About $8 at wally world. The squeaker usually lasts about an hour, but the dogs can't kill the actual ball, and its soft enough to keep them happy. About the size of a small softball.
Got three for four dogs, cause thats all that were in the store. Found a couple more the other day, now they can all be happy.

IMG_20230709_080420.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to try some of those. We buy tennis balls by the case. Zeke will kill a ball within a couple of minutes. Pops the seams.

I made the mistake of buying tennis balls for my girl. Her Canines are about half the length they should be. Not ever buying tennis balls for my boys again.

Handed out two new squeekers today, the hearing dogs went crazy, the deaf one didn't care. I have bought countless balls for them, and they either destroy them so they get thrown away, or lose interest. There's 10 sitting in the middle of the yard that haven't moved in a week.
But these are GSD proof. About $8 at wally world. The squeaker usually lasts about an hour, but the dogs can't kill the actual ball, and its soft enough to keep them happy. About the size of a small softball.
Got three for four dogs, cause thats all that were in the store. Found a couple more the other day, now they can all be happy.

View attachment 1491750
thanks for posting this my Rotties eat tennis balls. Once I see them broke they go in the trash. And why does Thor always want the ball Riley has. :BangHead:

20220702_124850.jpg

My deaf shepherd is very affectionate, good boy (or, as best as a non-hearing dog can be) except for a couple glaring faults. He is jealous of anyone getting attention, but not mean about it, he just wants his share.
And, if any of the others has a ball he wants, HE IS GONNA GET IT! One way or another. The others are so used to it, they just give it up now (mostly, lol).

Elvis's "inside" toys stash
that green spike ball is a squeaker, it a few years old,
most the squeakers don't last

Elvis June 7 2022 & his Toys stashes 002.JPG

he loves the tire, they last pretty good too, 2nd one in 8 years,
1st one Bubba helped to destroy, he was not a soft mouth dog

his orange floaty decoy is a great toy too
he chews on it some, he has had it for quite a few years
when he gets to aggressive, I will usually, take any of his toys away
or say don't tear it up & mostly he stops

he has a tennis ball that was my last dogs Lord Budnicks ball it's gotta be 10-12 years old
but I don't let him just destroy them
he will pop them & peel them
(I don't want a vet visit because he swallowed something)

the victims
he has a few stuffed animals his favorites, Elmo, Bear & Teddy
he know each one by name & will retrieve the one you say, 'usually'
but can't leave him unattended with them
they will be trashed
Elvis June 7 2022 & his Toys stashes 006.JPG

the big tennis balls don't last long, pops' them almost instantly
I think he likes them batter popped

that green ball smaller silicone/rubberish mesh ball above (don't remember the name)
originally had a rope on it, that didn't last long
the ball is indestructible seemingly

he loves his green 1 ltr bottles, (lime juice bottles)
& clear water bottles (& apple cider vinegar bottles)
I keep a stash for him, by my recliner, something he can chew up
he likes to take the cap off 1st
as soon as he flattens/crushes them, he done with them, & he wants a new bottle
good cheap toys

Elvis June 7 2022 & his Toys stashes 003.JPG

he love his 'big ball' it's another black & bigger version of that green mesh ball
it's like 5 years old, he has 2 the other one was Lord Budnicks ball

Elvis June 7 2022 & his Toys stashes 001.JPG

his duck is only for retrieving practice
it had a string between the head & body, that broke or he bit it off
I just glued the 2 pieces together
that's a water toy, meant to be a soft mouth dog
Elvis June 7 2022 & his Toys stashes 007.JPG

but;
he taught more or less to 'not destroy his toys'

Last edited:
My deaf shepherd is very affectionate, good boy (or, as best as a non-hearing dog can be) except for a couple glaring faults. He is jealous of anyone getting attention, but not mean about it, he just wants his share.
And, if any of the others has a ball he wants, HE IS GONNA GET IT! One way or another. The others are so used to it, they just give it up now (mostly, lol).
He's an adolescent, he's thinking: me, me, me!

I was thinking about your pup while watching TV. Within this TV program was a guy who had a deaf dog. They have their own sign language, but I don't know if any of it was regular sign language. He said he started with a list and keeps adding to it. The main command was: "watch me"

Has he encountered one of these vibrating toys? ...or one of those pigs that sound like growling when squeezed.

Mishka is almost 12, just had 3 surgeries, and is back to her normal crazy self.

Mishka groomed 3.jpg

View attachment 1491750
Ran down to wally world and got one. Riley been at it and so far so go. She pops tennis ball like no ones business Still in one piece.

20230709_210343.jpg

Glad it looks like it'll work out for you, davek!
Was just out playing with my boys. One squeeker still survives, and Cuda got it. After about ten minutes of orchestra, Hemi started barking at me, he wanted his turn.
When I wrestled it away from Cudabugger, and gave it to Hemi, the look I got from Cuda was something else. I had never seen betrayal on a dogs face so clear! Cuda got it back a few minutes later, and had it till we went inside. Magnum didn't give a crap about the squeaker, as long as I kept throwing the ball he had.

KONG toys have been the toughest, longest lasting brand for my pack and in my experience as a former Dog Trainer. Bitty (RIP) was Tony's sister, and she was a natural born killer, and would kill any toy we gave her that could be torn apart. We even thought about developing an indestructible toy and naming it "The Bitty" w/a "cartoon" rendition of Bitty's face on the package, extra fierce looking, fangs bared, and pink ribbons on her. LOL.
NERF does make some stuff that floats and lasts.
I can only do so much when my wife doesn't follow my dog behavior advice re: not leaving toys that can be torn up with the dogs.
I have seen some colorful, oddly textured poop as a result. Fortunately no surgeries required. THAT is the reason why safety is the most important choice for dog toys.

I made the mistake of buying tennis balls for my girl. Her Canines are about half the length they should be. Not ever buying tennis balls for my boys again.
I went through the EXACT same thing with one of my GSDs about 15 years ago. I felt terrible about it but it was too late by the time that we figured out the cause. We just rescued a beautiful, smart, young male GSD last Halloween. He is absolutely ball crazy, but there is not a tennis ball in sight at our house. Never doing that again.

I went through the EXACT same thing with one of my GSDs about 15 years ago. I felt terrible about it but it was too late by the time that we figured out the cause. We just rescued a beautiful, smart, young male GSD last Halloween. He is absolutely ball crazy, but there is not a tennis ball in sight at our house. Never doing that again.
Too bad I can't give out a thanks, agree, and like, all at the same time.

We are nervous about tennis balls. The Newfoundlands are big enough to swallow one. We had one of those horse balls for them. You know the ones that look like Hoppity Hops when you were a kid. They liked it but then ate the handle off it.

well I stopped after work to buy another one so Riley and Thor could have their own. My boy Thor has to have both. :BangHead:

20230710_173016.jpg

I have five of them now, all yellow. Wish I could have gotten an assortment of colors, lol. Magnum is still trying to figure out how he can hold two at once.

Isn't it entertaining when they try to stuff as many as possible in? Then they look around frantic at the ones they can't load in. Cheap entertainment.

Auto Transport Service
Back