• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

Well after 40 years of dog ownership I think I've got my first snake bite. It was sweet little Precious Catahoula who took the hit -

01.jpeg

She is alive and recovering but definitely not as happy as she looks in that picture.

At first she had a big red rash all over her body, and a fever; and was mopey and melancholic. Then she puffed up all over. I thought she'd gotten into something like Poison Ivy, although I never see dogs react to Poison Ivy. Then the puffiness went down and I thought it was over. But half a day later she puffed up really bad under her neck and on her right shoulder. Later on that went down and now she's got a bloody bare spot and three puncture wounds on her shoulder. I'm not sure why three instead of two or four, but it does look like a snake bite (to my inexperienced eye). I can't think of anything else it could be. She's bleeding from the wound but I think that will probably help get the poison out.

She's eating well and follows me around with her tail wagging so I think she's going to survive.

Wow, she is lucky ! I am glad we donor have poisonous snakes here. I am sure over the past 40 more than one of mine would have been bitten.

Glad she is doing ok. Some years ago we had snake training done with the 3 pooches we had at the time. Even got them a refresher course. Big fail. Let them out one morning and all 3 went by a baby rattler that was camped out on the doorstep. Went by it on the way out and on the way back in. I scooped it up and tossed it over the far fence.
Took Zeke and Toga out for a "forced" beach outing at 6am. It's been 3+ weeks since the last time they were there. Have been walking them in the big field at the end of our street again. Way more convenient, more exercise for all 3 of us since much of it is soft sand. Get the cardio going. Since the got rid of the dirtbags camping out at the other ends there has been less trash and junk around for them to get into and give us an expensive vet bill.

IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

She's eating well and follows me around with her tail wagging so I think she's going to survive.
Dogs don't seem to waste much time feeling sorry for themselves. If they only knew how much they could milk it for.
Not much a Vet could have done without knowing what kind of snake it was, but going to the Vet might still be a good idea. She's small for the amount of poison that could be in there. Wouldn't want it to be flesh eating stuff.

Garter snakes like my yard and I have always used them to train my dogs: " ICK ! Leave it." I've always hoped it will carry over to the Timber and Prairie Rattlers we might encounter in the field.

This expression captures the Belgian. They find the World a wondrous place

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 1.22.34 PM.png

Dogs don't seem to waste much time feeling sorry for themselves. If they only knew how much they could milk it for.
Not much a Vet could have done without knowing what kind of snake it was, but going to the Vet might still be a good idea. She's small for the amount of poison that could be in there. Wouldn't want it to be flesh eating stuff.

Garter snakes like my yard and I have always used them to train my dogs: " ICK ! Leave it." I've always hoped it will carry over to the Timber and Prairie Rattlers we might encounter in the field.

She's getting more energetic and active, and the swelling continues to go down. I don't think the wound is weeping as badly as it was before. BUT, it doesn't look like flesh eating venom is not out of the question. From what I could tell last night it does look "flesh eaten." I remember seeing three holes before, but now there are four. It looks like Honey-comb's cereal. I'd post a pic but some might not like the gore.

I considered taking her to the vet, but my work schedule makes it next to impossible. I don't have much faith in my current vet either, but now that it looks like there's a problem that requires a vet visit, they're closed. I've got Monday-Wednesday off this week so maybe then, depending on how she does.

Here's a picture of Precious Catahoula's wound that has been desaturated so it isn't so gory. What could have done this?

06_bite.jpeg

AFAIK snakes only have two fangs, so that rules out snakes. I don't know how the bite of a non-venomous animal could cause the reaction she had though, unless it had rabies? She's had her rabies shot FWIW.

Punctures are about 1/2" apart.

Any other signs of a fight, possibly with a racoon or possum? Could just be a bad infection from a wild animal bite.

No other signs of a fight, and this didn't open up until a couple days ago. Her behavior is almost back to normal and I think she'll be fine. I'd like to know what happened though as it doesn't look like an animal bite. The holes look more like a straight-on puncture wound. I would say snake bite if there were only two holes, but there's four.

I would of thought he did that already

The vet won't be open until Monday, and what are they going to do anyway? I don't know what bit the dog, if she was bit at all. My old vet might have been able to do something, but I have little faith in the new vet. The new vet is about like a mechanic that only does brakes and oil changes.

Our Westy turned 3 on Friday and she wanted to get dressed up. We said “yes” because she doesn’t ask for much, lol

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

My Ruby, deep in thought as she celebrated her fifth birthday last week...

ruby head2 (002).jpeg

So I posted in another thread Titans time was limited, and he's taken a turn for the worse, we wanted a natural passing at home but, he's a fighter but he can't stand for more than a few seconds, hasn't been eating, lost 10 or more lbs, confused. I've literally been in tears since yesterday. Worst part is I agreed to meet an adoption dog on Thursday, the foster has congentive heart failure and has to send the dog to shelter within a week. Anyways my wife stayed home today and up all night with him and we finally agreed he is ready to go on. He's almost 14 and has been a pain in my *** since we got him at 9 months, love him, but he'll be with his best friend, Bones. Wish I could be there to see it, those two knuckleheads are gonna shake heaven up for a few days lol. I'll miss my buddy!
20181229_152506.jpg
20181123_194452.jpg
20180312_170649.jpg
20180125_163733.jpg

So I posted in another thread Titans time was limited, and he's taken a turn for the worse, we wanted a natural passing at home but, he's a fighter but he can't stand for more than a few seconds, hasn't been eating, lost 10 or more lbs, confused. I've literally been in tears since yesterday. Worst part is I agreed to meet an adoption dog on Thursday, the foster has congentive heart failure and has to send the dog to shelter within a week. Anyways my wife stayed home today and up all night with him and we finally agreed he is ready to go on. He's almost 14 and has been a pain in my *** since we got him at 9 months, love him, but he'll be with his best friend, Bones. Wish I could be there to see it, those two knuckleheads are gonna shake heaven up for a few days lol. I'll miss my buddy!View attachment 1495985View attachment 1495986View attachment 1495987View attachment 1495988
I’m so sorry for your loss sir! I know how you feel, they are family. We lost our Boxer Mopar 2 1/2 years ago. We’d had him since he was 8 weeks old. We lost him at 8 1/2 years. In approximately 3 months he went from a healthy happy pup, to hardly able to stand up. It was a neurological disorder that started deteriorating the linings around his nerves. There was nothing they could do, so we did what we had to. He was in my arms when he passed and yes sir I cried my heart out. We did adopt another, Max, he’s about 4. I love the pictures with the little one, both of ours were the same way. Take care sir!

Auto Transport Service
Back