• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

I was told by our new vet that gsd's generally have sensitive stomachs. They are getting a lot less human scraps then they used to. (Human scraps are absolutely their favorite foods,darnit!)
But they have NEVER gotten real bones to chew.

Our dog has no problem with bones, most dogs up here get them. But no rib bones, and no cooked bones of any sort. Never chicken or turkey bones of any sort. She has a caribou leg out in the yard now that she gnaws away on.
Our biggest scare came when she pulverized the T.V. remote. There’s lots of sharp plastic and metal bits in there but she got away with it unscathed. If she would have done that to the cell phone beside it I probably would have made a hat and a set of mitts out of her. I kid.
IMG_2726.jpeg

Here and there we give out two a cooked, loaded, unseasoned rib to have while we are working on our seasoned ones. Once they have them stripped of meat and cartilage, we take them away and trash them[ ribs that is]. Our prior pooches and these two don't do well with chewed up bones.

Quite the ordeal Sam. I am happy to hear that she is recovering. My dogs are always having an issue of some kind, always on the weekends. So, I know your pain.

For Christmas dinner, she got a pan fried 1/4 pound beef patty, medium, and mashed potatoes with butter. She is a bit of a runt, so I have poured the food to her since I got her so she might grow all she can. Purina Puppy Pro Plan jazzed up with a little of whatever I'm having.

There's an Ultrasound coming up at auction that I might buy. It's portable, so I could let my vet use it. There's only one vet in the Black Hills that has an ultrasound. If she likes it, maybe we could trade when it comes time to get my girl fixed.

I had to take my big boy from tri-state az to Vegas (twice!) to get an ultrasound, to find the chunk of rubber ball he ate..... and couldn't pass.
And yep..... first one, day after Thanksgiving, second time on a Sunday.
(First one didn't find anything, but he wasn't getting better, so...#2 that found something.)

So it's the third day of no vomiting with my little girl. I think we are over it. Three weeks ago we went to the dog park. Some people had Buffalo bones and were handing them out to any dog that wanted one. What will my six month old who is off leash and 30 yards away say? By the time I got to her, she had the spinning eyes chew going on this Buffalo knuckle. While I was walking to her, she raised her head and gulped something. That night she vomited, and and a few times the next day. The next night, she vomited four times, it was Friday. Off to the vet on Saturday morning with no appointment. Rates are doubled for being weekend. Why do my dogs run under barbed wire fences or cut their foot on broken glass only on weekends? I had to get an x-ray. When butchers cut, there can be small pieces of bone stuck to the knuckles, and I knew she swallowed something. The X-ray showed some tiny chips in her colon, but they were on the way out. I carefully watched her BM's and everything kept working. I fed her two tablespoons of food every two hours. She was ravenous, but if I gave in and fed more, she would bring it up. When I see the people again, I will tell them about our experience. Some of my dog's breed have tender stomaches, but so far, she has been hardy, eating a little of whatever I eat which is often rich with butter or sauces. With medicine, she wanted to eat and I couldn't say no, but she couldn't keep it down. I've been on my knees a lot the last two weeks and cleaned a lot of floor.

Some see the Buffalo bones in a spiritual way, but those bones looked uncooked. Glad I didn't eat any, but then, I have no use for Buffalo (or Yak, I'm sure). I'm surrounded by Buffalo ranches and I've had it cooked every which way. I'd rather have Hereford or Angus.

She has been eating more the last few days and this morning, she ate a regular size breakfast.
I will never offer even a small piece of a milk bone without asking permission first. I can get a lot of pieces from a Medium Milk Bone.
Trichinellosis,
parasite from the consumption or raw meat common in Buffalo
can be caught by humans or animals

Brucellosis,
another common parasite from raw meat consumption
(or their milk for humans)
very bad around cattle, why they should not co-mingle

Last edited:
I never give any of my dogs, raw bones
rarely ever cooked either, I learned my lesson the hard way

I had a purebred Staffordshire Terrier, 'Alfred' Farton Urinal
my pup when he was like 9 months old, 50#s probably at that time
I was in my early 20's, early 1980s (broke *** carpenter & racer)
that he got deadly sick, couldn't hold food or water down
& barely survived, had violent convulsions it was very hard to watch/see
they (Vet) kept saying it was parvo
I knew damn well it wasn't & he was in serious pain, not just lethargic
& pressed them to do ex-rays (& ultrasounds ?)
then they saw broken-off shards (lil' chips/splinters & 1 big chunk)
from a cooked/boiled & seasoned calf leg bone,
I got it from my older sister Lori, she was a 'vet-tech' UC Davis at the time,
stuff she gave her dogs regularly (Labs & Shepherds)
I figure she should know, they loved the bone marrow
But that punctured his large intestine and very expensive surgery

he would have died
if I didn't insist on them checking for other ****
my sister, felt like **** & no longer gave any dogs bones of any kind

Last edited:
I won it. $210 for an Aloka 210 with a Sony printer. It's dirty as hell, but they are expensive, so I figured I could get my money back up to 250 as parts. If it works, it will freeze an image and print. I would like my vet to have it. I couldn't find much info on this company other than they were. bought by Hitachi.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 3.18.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Dutch has been great as a family member given her past. We're still working on issues, but she's been playing outside with our daughter and forming a bond. So my wife told me about Etsy. Got her a custom collar. Everyone thinks she's a male by how she acts so I had to add some pink. I'm super happy with it. 40$ was worth it, and she likes it too, even though she gave crazy eyes.
PXL_20240112_011214968.jpg
PXL_20240112_010129781.jpg
PXL_20240111_234525309.jpg

I was told by our new vet that gsd's generally have sensitive stomachs. They are getting a lot less human scraps then they used to. (Human scraps are absolutely their favorite foods,darnit!)
True on all counts. Beyond that, Bloat or GDV (gastric dilatation volvulus) is also common among GSDs. Life threatening condition where the stomach rotates on its axis and cuts off the passage of food and water. We lost our black GSD Quinn to this condition back in 2015. He was 12 and a half at that point and we were advised against putting him through the surgery to correct it. We have a good friend that is a Vet. She always referred to Quinn as "an ambassador for the breed". He was special. Miss him everyday.

Pic168.jpg

When the Bermuda grass in my yard turns brown for the winter Irving goes camouflage.

IMG_4225.jpeg

Mila got a new ball yesterday. After taking away the tennis balls, I tried the Chuck it balls mentioned here, she destroyed it in 3 hours. So I got a couple Woofbite balls. These things are a solid hunk of Rubber. This is after two days and looks like it will last.

IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG

Mila got a new ball yesterday. After taking away the tennis balls, I tried the Chuck it balls mentioned here, she destroyed it in 3 hours. So I got a couple Woofbite balls. These things are a solid hunk of Rubber. This is after two days and looks like it will last.

View attachment 1591367View attachment 1591368View attachment 1591369View attachment 1591370
The Nerfs that I recommended a while back (BIG mistake!) cost me several thousand dollars when my biggest shepherd ate a piece of one, and couldn't pass it.
The chuckits are okay with my brood, once the squeaker and the squeaker plugs are removed first.
Mila must be a vicious dog! .(kidding!! But my shepherds can't do that to a chuckit!). My guys ignore the solid balls completely.

The Nerfs that I recommended a while back (BIG mistake!) cost me several thousand dollars when my biggest shepherd ate a piece of one, and couldn't pass it.
The chuckits are okay with my brood, once the squeaker and the squeaker plugs are removed first.
Mila must be a vicious dog! .(kidding!! But my shepherds can't do that to a chuckit!). My guys ignore the solid balls completely.
She is a big sweetheart, but she is big, strong, and likes to chew. Fortunately not furniture though!

Auto Transport Service
Back