• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

Mishka loves rides with dad...
Actually, anybody.

Mishka ride 10-17-23.jpg

Mine is going for a ride to the dog park today as they say it will get up to 14 degrees today. Yay...

My first dog riding with a high school friend many years ago

P1015591.JPG

Mine is going for a ride to the dog park today as they say it will get up to 14 degrees today. Yay...

My first dog riding with a high school friend many years ago

View attachment 1594210
Love it. When I was 12-13 I had a Honda SL100. My black poodle-mix used to sit in front of me with his front paws on the tank. He even knew to lean into the turns.

Mishka is gorgeous!
Thank you. We adopted/rescued her at 9 yrs-old. She's 12 1/2.....going on 4. We've rescued Huskies for 35 yrs. and she may be the last. She loves people, and doesn't miss other dogs in our home. Without a doubt, she's spoiled and selfish....and everything is on her terms, but she's so great...we let her think she's in charge. So Happy.

Mishka blanket.jpg

Mishka groomed 3.jpg

Mishka 9-23-23 back yard sunset.jpg

Mishka silly 10-2022.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday at this time, my 13 year old rescue "street hound" I've had since she was a few months old seemed to be fine. Laney, my beloved Lab mix mutt, last night around 7pm, I noticed she wasn't inside with us. I found her in the back yard, acting like she has when her stomach was upset, but she was walking funny, so I got her in the house and on a dog cushion. She laid there, occasionally panting, and I put her in her dog bed next to my bed when I finally went to the bedroom after staying up as long as I could watching her status.
This morning when all the dogs are crazy active, when I first get up and they get fed, Laney didn't get up.
I gave her water a couple of times and she drank it, but still wouldn't get up.
I took her to the vet this morning, her white blood cell count was high, and she was dehydrated, but her temperature was fine.
She wasn't doing well though, and after talking with the vet, me knowing Laney doesn't like strangers and strange places, I decided not to put her through all that and I had her put to sleep.
24 hours ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be posting this. I love all my dogs, and always have, but Laney has always been very special to me. Saved from whatever life on the streets of downtown New Orleans she had for a few months as a puppy, and however long she may have survived, instead she has had a beautiful life of adventure, safety, security, and comfort, and oh how loved she is, and I am absolutely HEARTBROKEN that she is gone.
Until we meet again, I type through my tears...
20240120_111140.jpg
20201019_145316.jpg
20211215_131654.jpg
20231225_085541.jpg

20161230_155228.jpg

20200417_171611.jpg

Yesterday at this time, my 13 year old rescue "street hound" I've had since she was a few months old seemed to be fine. Laney, my beloved Lab mix mutt, last night around 7pm, I noticed she wasn't inside with us. I found her in the back yard, acting like she has when her stomach was upset, but she was walking funny, so I got her in the house and on a dog cushion. She laid there, occasionally panting, and I put her in her dog bed next to my bed when I finally went to the bedroom after staying up as long as I could watching her status.
This morning when all the dogs are crazy active, when I first get up and they get fed, Laney didn't get up.
I took her to the vet this morning, her white blood cell count was high, and she was dehydrated, but her temperature was fine.
She wasn't doing well though, and after talking with the vet, me knowing Laney doesn't like strangers and strange places, I decided not to put her through all that and I had her put to sleep.
24 hours ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be posting this. I love all my dogs, and always have, but Laney has always been very special to me. Saved from whatever life on the streets of downtown New Orleans she had for a few months as a puppy, and however long she may have survived, instead she has had a beautiful life of adventure, safety, security, and comfort, and oh how loved she is, and I am absolutely HEARTBROKEN that she is gone.
View attachment 1595076View attachment 1595077View attachment 1595078View attachment 1595079

View attachment 1595080

View attachment 1595081
IT is so hard to see them go.

View attachment 1595076View attachment 1595077View attachment 1595078View attachment 1595079

View attachment 1595080

View attachment 1595081
I feel your pain. Take some comfort from knowing that you gave her a good life.

Thanks everyone. I've been through "this" before, but then again, not exactly this. Laney has been fine, even yesterday at this time, and I don't really know exactly what was wrong with her and now she's gone.
I think the thing that is getting to me the most, other than the suddenness of this and not knowing what exactly was wrong is what made me feel a special bond, love, and responsibility for her. My wife found her as a 3 or 4 month old puppy, trying to cross Tulane Avenue in downtown New Orleans, a very busy multi-lane street. She was on call at work and "just happened" to get called in, "just happened" to leave work when she did, and "just happened" to take a different route than usual from the hospital because of unusually bad traffic.
So the odds of her seeing this little black puppy trying to cross the blacktop of Tulane by St. Joseph's Church are astronomical, except they weren't, because I haven't believed in coincidence since the 80s just before I was saved, and I have NO DOUBT God meant that puppy to find her home with me.
Even when my wife brought her home and said "maybe you can adopt her out at PETCO" where I was working as a Dog Trainer and had adopted out dogs before that we had found, an hour after that I said "Her name is Laney and she's not going anywhere!"
So I have always been very protective of Laney, and made sure she had her food put down first, got her treat first, and that the other bigger dogs didn't take advantage of Laney being the smallest dog at 55 pounds. I HAVE ALWAYS been the one to take the extra care Laney needed and deserved, and I wish I could be more certain that I did right by her this morning, and that I didn't give up too soon.
My greatest ambition in life is to be the person my dogs see me as, which is far better than I could ever be.

View attachment 1595080

View attachment 1595081
I am so, so sorry to hear that Steve
you have my deepest & heartfelt condolences
I know how much you love Laney

RIP Laney
Dog died go to heaven - they'll still talk about you.jpg

Sorry Steve..
It's our job to spoil them like crazy and Love them while they are here...

Sounds like you did a good job of that!

So sorry Steve, Laney found you and your wife for a reason. I can tell she was well loved and well taken care of. God bless my friend.

View attachment 1595080

View attachment 1595081
I feel for your loss. Its always tough but we look forward to seeing them again.

Auto Transport Service
Back