• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOHC 426 Hemi

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
I was just looking at this thread (magazines for sale) FOR SALE - Lot Of 12 Assorted Mopar Muscle Magazines
and noticed that on 1 magazine cover it says DOHC 426 hemi.

I knew oldsmobile had this:

But i didn't knew there was a DOHC 426 Hemi. That's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

This makes the lotus engineered "high tech" LT5 released in 1990 look less "high tech" (or at least less innovative) since that DOHC hemi dates back to 1964. :D

Was this known as the Doomsday Hemi that never ran under it's own power? If I recall correctly it was put together to get Ford to cry uncle in the horsepower wars. My memory is fuzzy on it, though.

Was this known as the Doomsday Hemi that never ran under it's own power? If I recall correctly it was put together to get Ford to cry uncle in the horsepower wars. My memory is fuzzy on it, though.
It was I read more to get NASCar to call uncle, as proof that the hp wars were getting out of hand which Ford escalated with their new Cammer motor. and it worked.

I was just looking at this thread (magazines for sale) FOR SALE - Lot Of 12 Assorted Mopar Muscle Magazines
and noticed that on 1 magazine cover it says DOHC 426 hemi.

I knew oldsmobile had this:

But i didn't knew there was a DOHC 426 Hemi. That's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

This makes the lotus engineered "high tech" LT5 released in 1990 look less "high tech" (or at least less innovative) since that DOHC hemi dates back to 1964. :D
Nice Goin......... The Secret's Out !!!!!
Now Everybody Wants 1 Or 2 Or 3.....hahahaha Cool Experiment Though! Thank Tom Hoover For His Ingenuity!!
MoPar2Ya!
John

Was this known as the Doomsday Hemi that never ran under it's own power?
What exactly does this mean? Was it a non running paperweight or what?

What exactly does this mean? Was it a non running paperweight or what?
They "apparently" used an electic motor to show it "running" at some point for Nascar officials.

Being a "one-off" motor with no intent of production, it probably didn't have any internals, just enough stuff to look legit and convincing.

A prototype that never was. Cool stuff though.

I wonder why the aftermarket never picked up on that idea.
That would be a very interesting and expensive motor for very expensive custom cars.

That would be a very interesting and expensive motor for very expensive custom cars.
Well you answered your own question ... "expensive" !! Besides, Ford did it. And these days, everything gets an LS !!!

Well you answered your own question ... "expensive" !! Besides, Ford did it. And these days, everything gets an LS !!!
You understand, the Hemi DOHC was because Ford was trying to up the already on track winning Hemi. and Mopar felt it would take the wind out of Ford's sails if Mopar looked to be going down the same route with this mockup stunt, and to repeat myself, it worked, and Mopar was really just following FORD on this path.

Auto Transport Service
Back