• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome light

Gus chiggins

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Here is the problem. My dome light will not turn off when the door is closed, yes, i checked the passenger door. When i turn the ignition switch to acc, or run (but not starting) the dome light/console lights operate normally. When i turn the ignition switch to the off position the dome light does not turn off, but it dims when i depress the door switch. All new wiring using M&H electric. I used dielectric grease, and all grounds are to bare metal. I made sure all connections were secure. Also ignition switch, and headlight switch are new. I bought both from a reputable mopar vendor on escam(ebay). This is one subject that has pretty much crushed that dead horse

Here is the problem. My dome light will not turn off when the door is closed, yes, i checked the passenger door. When i turn the ignition switch to acc, or run (but not starting) the dome light/console lights operate normally. When i turn the ignition switch to the off position the dome light does not turn off, but it dims when i depress the door switch. All new wiring using M&H electric. I used dielectric grease, and all grounds are to bare metal. I made sure all connections were secure. Also ignition switch, and headlight switch are new. I bought both from a reputable mopar vendor on escam(ebay). This is one subject that has pretty much crushed that dead horse
What car?

To me it sounds like a problem in the headlite switch rehostat. Think about where it gets its ground and power. Pull up a schematic and start with the easy process of elimination. Just because its new dont meen its good.

I would start one door at a time. Pull the switch and unplug the wires. Door switches should only have yellow wires on them. Tape them and leave them out of the system and see what happens.

The thing with the ignition is weird. The dome light circuit is a non-switched hot circuit and nothing to do with the ignition switch.

I would start one door at a time. Pull the switch and unplug the wires. Door switches should only have yellow wires on them. Tape them and leave them out of the system and see what happens.
They do have the yellow wires.

Thanks for the advice fellas, i truly appreciate it.

Ok so isolate them one door at a time and leave them isolated.
Once you have done that with no change if any are piggy backed separate them and retest. Is there anything else on this car not working 100 percent? Auto or manual transmission?, Factory radio? Any other add on items like FM converter, tachometer, etc.

Once you have done that with no change if any are piggy backed separate them and retest. Is there anything else on this car not working 100 percent? Auto or manual transmission?, Factory radio? Any other add on items like FM converter, tachometer, etc.
No add ons. Factory radio rebuilt for fm stereo reception, automatic trans. Front turn signals/ park lamps non op, dash lights non op. I have headlights, rear tailliights, backup lights, rear turn signals non op, brake lights work

No add ons. Factory radio rebuilt for fm stereo reception, automatic trans. Front turn signals/ park lamps non op, dash lights non op. I have headlights, rear tailliights, backup lights, rear turn signals non op, brake lights work
Do your dash lights dim with the headlight switch rheostat?

Not sure what you are saying here. What does not work?

Not sure what you are saying here. What does not work?
No dash lights, or front turn signals /park lamps. Headlights with relays work fine. I'm changing out the headlight switch. I ran the diagnostic with the yellow wires(door jamb switches) same result in the dome light staying on.

No dash lights, or front turn signals /park lamps. Headlights with relays work fine. I'm changing out the headlight switch. I ran the diagnostic with the yellow wires(door jamb switches) same result in the dome light staying on.
Ok if you did exactly what I said that eliminates that area. Next simple test is to unplug the headlight switch. No doubt you have other issues that most likely are not related. Did you verify all fuses with a meter or test light. Not a visual.

Ok if you did exactly what I said that eliminates that area. Next simple test is to unplug the headlight switch. No doubt you have other issues that most likely are not related. Did you verify all fuses with a meter or test light. Not a visual.
Yes, i used a power probe. The only wire that did not register was the tan wire on the headlight switch connector. Yes, used a power probe on the fuses, and they are good

Auto Transport Service
Back