• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome light

In my case the light stayed on as it was always connected to ground due to the wrong bulb, the grounding is normally provided through the door switches.
I believe this bulb is getting +12V through the socket and grounding is provided through 1 of those double contacts
If the yellow wire is grounded in any way the light will stay on. So if the socket is grounded and the bulb some how is in contact with the contact with the yellow wire it could cause a ground bath through the filament. No way can the socket produce 12 volts.

Not being defensive, and I am not all knowing either, but I refuse to believe an M&H harness is not assembled correct.
How many times there are people that start cutting and modifying a brand new harness as it is deemed "wrong" where the end user is to blame for trying to copy the chopped up old harness.
Not saying you messed it up, just trying to help you to stick with the harness as received and look for other sources causing the issue.
As I had mentioned before in regards to the light bulb itself, did you confirm you have the right bulb?
I believe that should be #1004, which has a double contact bayonet fitting.
I installed a wrong one and searched for a long time why my dome light stayed on all the time, turned out I had the wrong type installed.
I did not cut, or modify my harness in any way. M&H used a rounded type bulb contact, they should be flat. They used mixed zinc, and brass male connectors in the plug, why was that done? I'm sure anybody at M&H might be having a bad day, and something slips. This is the only problem I had. I used M&H through the whole car. Engine/headlight harness, dash harness, rear body harness.

Last edited:
I found out the problem. 1967 b body. The kick panel harness that plugs into the intermediate harness has the pink wire with an inline fuse which plugs into the connecter next to the red wire on the bus bar. Tommy White got me the correct harness, and the console courtesy lights work as they should. I had no idea this was the set up. Tommy schooled me, and also Darren Grove from M&H also helped.

Auto Transport Service
Back