• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dominators rule !!

Actionage....I trust your recommendations as you run a 9 second car....I have 34 degrees now with 50/50 race/pump. What would you start out...35 or 36 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Ron,
I sent my converter (along with my Dyno Sheet) to Lenny at Ultimate Converter in North Carolina.
He redid my converter to 5000 flash matching it to my dyno sheet.
It works awsome.
When I nail it off the line it immediately "goes straight to 5000RPM in a millisecond and then hooks and drops back to 4600 (right on the torque curve) and then start pulling up the RPM range.

Start with 35
Glad you like the converter. Lenny builds all mine- super consistent product, durable.
Customer service second to none.

Cuda and Tex..

Remember, my "spacer" is more than just a spacer. It is a 4500 to 4150 Transdapt Carb Adapter to allow me to use the 4500 carb on my 4150 Edelbrock Victor 440 Intake Manifold. The adapter is 2" tall.

On the Mopar Muscle (Hot Rod Magazine website) Dyno tests as well as INDY Cylinder Head Dyno tests they both show a 12-15 Horsepower improvement in using, what they call the "funnel" adapter, a 4500 to 4150 adapter over an intake manifold already setup for a Dominator carb. They say the adapter actually "speeds up" the air flow going into the manifold....All I know is that I used the 4500 to 4150 adapter and I worked great on my setup.

Mike I agree. The Wilson spacer/adapter will do this for me as well but is 1.5" instead of 2". It will adapt the 4500 to the 4150 intake. I may sacrifice some by not using a 2" but don't want to change my scoop. Keep us posted as your times continue to improve.

Cuda and Tex..

Remember, my "spacer" is more than just a spacer. It is a 4500 to 4150 Transdapt Carb Adapter to allow me to use the 4500 carb on my 4150 Edelbrock Victor 440 Intake Manifold. The adapter is 2" tall.

On the Mopar Muscle (Hot Rod Magazine website) Dyno tests as well as INDY Cylinder Head Dyno tests they both show a 12-15 Horsepower improvement in using, what they call the "funnel" adapter, a 4500 to 4150 adapter over an intake manifold already setup for a Dominator carb. They say the adapter actually "speeds up" the air flow going into the manifold....All I know is that I used the 4500 to 4150 adapter and I worked great on my setup.

Mike I agree. The Wilson spacer/adapter will do this for me as well but is 1.5" instead of 2". It will adapt the 4500 to the 4150 intake. I may sacrifice some by not using a 2" but don't want to change my scoop. Keep us posted as your times continue to improve.

Cuda,
My next outing is the Muscle Cars at the Strip (Mopars at the Strip) in Las Vegas March 17,18,19,20th.
My first couple runs will exactly the same setup as I had at Test&Tune last weekend where I went [email protected] that as a base I am then going to remove the "open" Transdapt 4500 to 4150 adapter and replace it with a "SUPER SUCKER" CNC Tapered 4500-4150 adapter that one of our buddies here on FBBO actually had "loaned" to me to try it. I will then have a direct comparison between the open Transdapt adapter and the CNC Tapered Super Sucker Spacer.
Then...I will plug the power valve and square up the jets to 94/94 and see what happens. I may have to juggle those around for best performance.
Then...I will take out my 50% 91 Pump Gas and 50% 110 VP Race Gas and replace it with 100% VP110 Race Gas and increase the timing from 34 up to 35, then 36, then 37 to see what happens.
I am running 3 classes at the Mopar race so I will get lots of runs in to do my testing before eliminations start.

What has been mentioned is if your data logging or reading plugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I dont have a data logger. I also do not have a "clean" neutral so I can click it into neutral and shut it down after going thru the lites....but...the only thing I could do (and I did) was to pull the car over off the return road and take a look a 1 plug on each side before I even drove it back to the pits...both plug looked fine. Nice coloration and no burn.

why would you remove the power valve?? removing its just gonna make it run dirty at part throttle. I know, I know,, it has been discussed before in another thread. :)

why would you remove the power valve?? removing its just gonna make it run dirty at part throttle. I know, I know,, it has been discussed before in another thread. :)

CDR...How it runs at "part throttle" doesnt matter to me as for the immediate future (this summer) it is 100% drag race setup.
"Almost" every single racer I talk to advises me to plug the power valve and "square up" the jets...I will know if it works becuase I will make a run with the power valve "in" with the OOTB primary jetting, record the ET and MPH, then plug the power valve and square up the jets and make a run with NO other changes.
I will then know how it works for me, one way or the other.
Thanks, Mike

Dirty at part throttle means loading the plugs up in the pits,staging lanes, and warm up. Your test will give you the true answer now. But 50 passes from now the results may change

Doug

Many lean out the transistion slot (idle feed restriction) to help keep the part throttle cleaner. I remember many years ago Bill Jenkins would put wire in his idle feeds to help lean his part throttle. I know cruising on the street at part throtle I run on the transfer slot circuit alot. Ron

3/10 of a second quicker with 1050 Dominator versus 4150 based 850cfm Demon. Repeat...I am a believer.

At least your results do tell me the Indy dual plane works pretty good for a dual plane. I think the indy dual plane is a good intake for a mostly street car like mine. Right now its not worth me trying to find a single plane that will fit under my hood for a tenth. It would have been cool to see how the Dominator ran on the dual plane. I would love to try a Dominator but honestly it eats enough gas with the 850 on it and I love the driveability of my Holley 850. It would be cool to go after a few more tenths but I dont think I will change my car for some time since I plan to keep it a street car as long as I am around. I think the MP 337 single plane is the only single plane that will fit under my hood and I wont go to a taller scoop as I like the original factory size scoop. Ron

At least your results do tell me the Indy dual plane works pretty good for a dual plane. I think the indy dual plane is a good intake for a mostly street car like mine. Right now its not worth me trying to find a single plane that will fit under my hood for a tenth. It would have been cool to see how the Dominator ran on the dual plane. I would love to try a Dominator but honestly it eats enough gas with the 850 on it and I love the driveability of my Holley 850. It would be cool to go after a few more tenths but I dont think I will change my car for some time since I plan to keep it a street car as long as I am around. I think the MP 337 single plane is the only single plane that will fit under my hood and I wont go to a taller scoop as I like the original factory size scoop. Ron

Ron...remember that I had already replaced the INDY Dual Plane with the Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane when I put on the Dominator.
I went 10.989 with the INDY Dual Plane and the 850 Demon.
I replaced the INDY Dual Plane with the Victor 440 (same 850 Demon) and went 10.91.
I then took the 850 Demon off of the Victor 440 Single Plane and replaced it with the 1050 Dominator and went 10.60. That was the 3/10s pickup.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mike. I may be able to squeak by. I run a low deck so that will help. I also see that Wilson makes an adapter that is 1.5" tall. Thats only a 1/2" more than the wilson spacer I run now. I will probable try that on the M1 I'm currently running. And see what it nets me. Here in Ohio we still have a while till the tracks open.

Cuda,
The Dyno Reports that I have seen on the Mopar Muscle Hot Rod web site shows that the M1 single plane really was only 4-5 horsepower less that the Edelbrock Victor 440...so I think the M1 should work well for you.

Ron...remember that I had already replaced the INDY Dual Plane with the Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane when I put on the Dominator.
I went 10.989 with the INDY Dual Plane and the 850 Demon.
I replaced the INDY Dual Plane with the Victor 440 (same 850 Demon) and went 10.91.
I then took the 850 Demon off of the Victor 440 Single Plane and replaced it with the 1050 Dominator and went 10.60. That was the 3/10s pickup.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes thats why I say the single plane only picked up about a tenth for you which is good but it does tell me the Indy dual plane is a nice street/strip intake that may be giving up a tenth in the 1/4 over the nice single plane but the dual plane may have better street manners. It would have been cool if you could have tried the Dominator on the Dual plane also but I dont blame you for going to the single plane first. Ron

Ron, I agree. Only picked up a tenth from the INDY DUAL PLANE INTAKE...to the Edelbrock Victor 440 single plane

Last edited:
Many lean out the transistion slot (idle feed restriction) to help keep the part throttle cleaner. I remember many years ago Bill Jenkins would put wire in his idle feeds to help lean his part throttle. I know cruising on the street at part throtle I run on the transfer slot circuit alot. Ron

Funny you mentioned this, Ron. I was talking with Jenkins at a race at Fremont Dragstrip around 1970. At the time I was racing a C/Gas Corvette with a small block, tunnel ram and two 660 Holleys. He gave me that same tidbit of information about reducing the idle fuel by putting a single strand of wire in each idle feed. Worked very well. Thanks, Bill. Drag racing misses you...

Funny you mentioned this, Ron. I was talking with Jenkins at a race at Fremont Dragstrip around 1970. At the time I was racing a C/Gas Corvette with a small block, tunnel ram and two 660 Holleys. He gave me that same tidbit of information about reducing the idle fuel by putting a single strand of wire in each idle feed. Worked very well. Thanks, Bill. Drag racing misses you...

Small world. I may even try the wire in my older 850 as the only jets in it are the main jets and I was thinking of leaning the idle restriction to run a tad leaner when cruising on he transfer slot. Ron

Hi Mike , had a couple questions.
1)I was wondering if you have any photos of your new carb? Specifically what you used for a throttle cable and mounting bracket.
With the 2" spacer and Dominator my old set up is not even close to working. Looked at the Lokar cable but didn't really like how it attached to the carb. Moroso makes a similar set up that has a better attachment method(well at least to me). Antways since we both had 67's thought your method may help me get mine back out.
2)did you retain the factory gas peddle set up?

Thanks

Hi Mike , had a couple questions.
1)I was wondering if you have any photos of your new carb? Specifically what you used for a throttle cable and mounting bracket.
With the 2" spacer and Dominator my old set up is not even close to working. Looked at the Lokar cable but didn't really like how it attached to the carb. Moroso makes a similar set up that has a better attachment method(well at least to me). Antways since we both had 67's thought your method may help me get mine back out.
2)did you retain the factory gas peddle set up?

Thanks

Tom, Here are some pixs. 1 pix is of my TransDapt 4500 to 4150 carb adapter. The other is of my modified/fabricated throttle bracket/cable holder. I used the stock throttle cable AND stock gas peddle with NO modifications at all. I merely went to the hardware store and in the Lumber Department bought a SIMPSON lumber construction bracket and used it to space "up" my stock cable bracket. I had to do lots of "re-do's" to get it "right" but it is rock solid and works perfect.

20160101_122927.jpg 20160106_143248.jpg

Last edited:
Tom, Here are some pixs. 1 pix is of my TransDapt 4500 to 4150 carb adapter. The other is of my modified/fabricated throttle bracket/cable holder. I used the stock throttle cable AND stock gas peddle with NO modifications at all. I merely went to the hardware store and in the Lumber Department bought a SIMPSON lumber construction bracket and used it to space "up" my stock cable bracket. I had to do lots of "re-do's" to get it "right" but it is rock solid and works perfect.

View attachment 340389 View attachment 340392
Thanks Mike. My set up is very similar. I used the Moroso 2" adapter & I have the same intake bracket. I have also been going the hardware route.
My cable wont reach as high as yours. It will barely reach The bracket. My cable is 18.75". I tried a longer cable 25" and its too long, I see Mancini has a 21.25 so maybe that will be the ticket.

Auto Transport Service
Back