• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dominators rule !!

I have 2.5 inches of scoop clearance BUT I had to fab a "spacer" for my hood scoop to raise it 2.5" otherwise the carb would hit the hood. I now need to buy a 5" 1966 Hemi style scoop from VFN ( same style as mine only much taller. The 4500 to 4150 adapter adds 2" to the already tall Victor 440.

Thanks Mike. I may be able to squeak by. I run a low deck so that will help. I also see that Wilson makes an adapter that is 1.5" tall. Thats only a 1/2" more than the wilson spacer I run now. I will probable try that on the M1 I'm currently running. And see what it nets me. Here in Ohio we still have a while till the tracks open.

cudatom ,
FYI - my M1 single plane is 1" shorter than my Victor intake . This is with RB intakes .
I also looked at the Wilson , but $261 compared to $110 for the Moroso down here . I may go back to my M1 to help out .

Tex

cudatom ,
FYI - my M1 single plane is 1" shorter than my Victor intake . This is with RB intakes .
I also looked at the Wilson , but $261 compared to $110 for the Moroso down here . I may go back to my M1 to help out .

Tex
Yeah those Wilson spacers are pricey. Summit has it for $149 and they are only 30min from my house. Right now I have just over 2" of clearance w/the 1" so looks like it should wk for me.

Great news Mike. I know your car has been steadily going over to strip only duty, but how about the street manners of that 1050 you think it would work?

Driving back on the return road and into my pit and then starting it up to drive it up to the staging lanes everything works fine. Don't know why it wouldn't work on the street. Probably just use a lot of gas

- - - Updated - - -

cool. i've known some guys trying to use a stock tank with only 5 gallons. that leads to fuel starvation.

I put the exactly 5 gallons of fuel in the fuel cell for every single run. Not one drop more. To save weight. It is sure not a problem. All of the fuel, I would guess, is pushed to the rear of the tank where the deep sump is. I use 1 gallon of fuel ,total, on each run... including driving up to the staging lanes, making the run, and then driving back to the return road to my pit. I have a measured that many times and I know it is one gallon.

- - - Updated - - -

Very impressed Mike! Gives me hope for my combo! Excellent post thanks for all the additional info!

Plum, with your setup you're going to have to be at least 10.30 if not 10.20 at 127 to 129 mile an hour

Yeah OK sorry, when you have time to play try blocking the PV and go 94 square. then keep going up until it slows

Not sure I'd start with 94 square- try 90's and go up.
It might not like 37 degrees timing either- work it up slowly.

Mike I am running the 1050 with 90x4 and no power valves. Seems to run ok but planning on trying my Air/fuel to see exactly what its doing. I heard 91 x4 may be the best but my last week run I turned a 10.7 so hard to get the exact combo. I was told 1050 was to much for my engine but that was from Quick fuel and I am not completely sure the answers are dead on. I am so wondering. The latest on mine is a new driveshaft 1350 aluminum complete.
Congrats in order for that 10.6

bee-ski....I am NOT running the March Meet...I am saving my beans for Muscle Cars at the Strip (used to be called Mopars at the Strip) in Las Vegas where there will be 300 Mopars Racing...going to run 2 or 3 classes. March 18, 19, 20. I will be at the March Meet to spectate on Saturday. PM me your cell phone number so we can hook up.
Mike,
I will be there Saturday March 5th
I will take pics of you and the car...
"super-bee_ski"
(mark)

Great pick-up. But I have to believe something was a miss with the 850. The .30 is WAY more than I would have expected. I'm glad it picked up. I still think there is more left. Don't give up.
Doug

Great pick-up. But I have to believe something was a miss with the 850. The .30 is WAY more than I would have expected. I'm glad it picked up. I still think there is more left. Don't give up.
Doug

I had 20 passes on the brand new Demon with many different jet changes, power valve in or out..and it was from 11.10 to 10.91. I then loaned it to a friend at Test and tune, after I took it off my motor, and it worked perfect for him....carb was fine. All dyno tests, on 500 inch mopar motors, show a 35HP Increase difference between 4150 carb and 4500 Dominator. I believe it now.

LOL -- Told ya so:icon_fU:

Just to give you an idea of how thirsty they can be, i'm running 97 square on the jets and am NOT rich. Remember tho, my 1050 is a 3 circuit with no power valves and the heads are max wedge so work your way up slowly

Gunna put water/methanol injection on the engine this winter and see what that does...

John B.

Congrats Mike on the new low ET & 60ft
sounds like she was starving for air/more cfm & fuel...LOL

Mike, I played with many different size carbs and mine ended running fastest with the DOM. I think your jetting is probably pretty close. I run 93's square (no power valves) but my engine is smaller.

Way to go Mike ! Thats a heck of an improvement with that dominator. Looks like 2 to 3 mph and 3 tenths. Your car must have good mid range with that new combo as I see you went 10.61 at 124 with a 1.50 sixty on one of the runs. I have run 10.76 at 124.49 with a 1.50 sixty also so it must pull nice as thats a very nice et for the mph. That really makes me want to try a single plane and dominator one day but I dont think it will be this year unless things get a little better for me. I just hope to get to the track once or twice this year. Congrats on the new best of 10.61 as it sounds like 10.50's will be no problem as I believe it still has more in it and I think you will find it soon enough. Glad to hear this as I know you have worked hard tunning that bad boy in the right direction. Ron

Way to go Mike ! Thats a heck of an improvement with that dominator. Looks like 2 to 3 mph and 3 tenths. Your car must have good mid range with that new combo as I see you went 10.61 at 124 with a 1.50 sixty on one of the runs. I have run 10.76 at 124.49 with a 1.50 sixty also so it must pull nice as thats a very nice et for the mph. That really makes me want to try a single plane and dominator one day but I dont think it will be this year unless things get a little better for me. I just hope to get to the track once or twice this year. Congrats on the new best of 10.61 as it sounds like 10.50's will be no problem as I believe it still has more in it and I think you will find it soon enough. Glad to hear this as I know you have worked hard tunning that bad boy in the right direction. Ron

Ron, I had a 1.479 60' with a 6.691 660' time on the fastest run....how about that ??
Next is to take out the Power Valve and square it up to 92/92 then to 93/93 then to 94/94 and on up till it slows down (it has 94 secondary jets in it now, out of the box)
Next then is to drain out the 50% 110 Race Gas / 50% 91 Pump Gas mix at 34 degress timing and pour in straight 110 Race gas with 36 or 37 degrees timing...hope to get into the 10.50's....

Ron, I had a 1.479 60' with a 6.691 660' time on the fastest run....how about that ??
Next is to take out the Power Valve and square it up to 92/92 then to 93/93 then to 94/94 and on up till it slows down (it has 94 secondary jets in it now, out of the box)
Next then is to drain out the 50% 110 Race Gas / 50% 91 Pump Gas mix at 34 degress timing and pour in straight 110 Race gas with 36 or 37 degrees timing...hope to get into the 10.50's....

I missed the 1.47 sixty as thats very good and tells why your et is a tenth and 1/2 faster then mine with the same mph. You got the suspension working very nicely. I would plug the power valves also if mine was a race only car but I like to run my power valve on the street. I run 37 total timing on the pump gas but I have less comp then you ( 10.6 ) and good quench with a cam to keep the cyl press in check for that on pump. But I agree if you go to full race gas try moving that timing and see if she likes it. You should hit 10.50's with ease and maybe 10.40's as it sounds like you got her really starting to click now. Good luck on the next outing.
Mike I forgot who's converter you are running and the stall on it and was wondering if you dont mind telling me again ? Ron

Not sure I'd start with 94 square- try 90's and go up.
It might not like 37 degrees timing either- work it up slowly.

Actionage....I trust your recommendations as you run a 9 second car....I have 34 degrees now with 50/50 race/pump. What would you start out...35 or 36 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Ron,
I sent my converter (along with my Dyno Sheet) to Lenny at Ultimate Converter in North Carolina.
He redid my converter to 5000 flash matching it to my dyno sheet.
It works awsome.
When I nail it off the line it immediately "goes straight to 5000RPM in a millisecond and then hooks and drops back to 4600 (right on the torque curve) and then start pulling up the RPM range.

Yeah those Wilson spacers are pricey. Summit has it for $149 and they are only 30min from my house. Right now I have just over 2" of clearance w/the 1" so looks like it should wk for me.

Cuda and Tex..

Remember, my "spacer" is more than just a spacer. It is a 4500 to 4150 Transdapt Carb Adapter to allow me to use the 4500 carb on my 4150 Edelbrock Victor 440 Intake Manifold. The adapter is 2" tall.

On the Mopar Muscle (Hot Rod Magazine website) Dyno tests as well as INDY Cylinder Head Dyno tests they both show a 12-15 Horsepower improvement in using, what they call the "funnel" adapter, a 4500 to 4150 adapter over an intake manifold already setup for a Dominator carb. They say the adapter actually "speeds up" the air flow going into the manifold....All I know is that I used the 4500 to 4150 adapter and I worked great on my setup.

Mopar Muscle also did a head to head test on a 505" mopar comparing a 950cfm Holley Ultra HP carb to a 1050 Dominator. That particujlar motor made 705HP with the 4150 950CFM carb and then they bolted on the 1050 Dominator (with NO other changes) and the horsepower went up to 740HP...a 35HP gain...and, again, I am a believer.

The Wallace Racing website calculators (which always seem to be pretty accurate) show that for me to have gone from 10.914 (with my old 850 Demon carb) to 10.609 (with only my Dominator Carb change) that I would have to have picked up close to FIFTY (50) HORSEPOWER. Go figure....

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back