• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny's 1969 GTX

Hey Bernie. I have never used Copper Slag, however it is sold and used down here, but I've never done it. 700 bucks for the material? Wow, sounds like you are getting hosed. Can't it be recycled? The big thing you have to consider -- and it looks like you have, is securing the services of a local Media Blaster; which is seems like you don't have one there near you. So, you have to do it yourself. You didn't indicate what size compressor you have, but, anything that is 'perfect' for the job would be way too expensive to buy for one time use, so, likely you will have to use a more standard compressor. The key (forget air pressure for a bit) is air volume, which is measured in CFMs. Get the biggest compressor -- and you may want to rent one, and, perhaps a local equipment renter has a blast pot also to rent. Also, Soda Blasting is more mobile and perhaps there is one of these guys up there to assist you? However, the soda won't punch out/down the rust and or Bondo too well; you'll have to grind/sand it later. One thing you also may want to consider as a blasting media is Walnut Shells, it's cheap, and it cuts good, but it's really dusty. Too bad you were not closer! Good luck! Thanks for the kind words about my GTX! I appreciate it!

Donny,ya I've got enough air.I've got a shop compressor for air for the shop,then when we blast I have two more I turn on just for that.It's funny how after occupational health and safety came around that all the alternatives to silica doubled.The only option to keep using silica was to put up a building just for blasting.I don't do enough of it to make that pay. Just another one I'll do myself,I just liked the way your media blasting with the oxide seemed to give a real nice looking job.Thanks.

Actually, I use very little Alum Oxide, just enough to give the surface a little etch, and enough to make me go faster, and if I hold it down on an area for say 5 - 10 seconds rust goes bye-bye.

Remember the $50.00 68 GTX door I scored a few months back? Well, I finally got around to gutting it, and I could not for the life of me remember how to get the qtr vent window frame out? And, I broke the frigging glass, it was toast anyways! Well, that little tiny weeny hole next to the remote control mirror knob has a 3/16 hex screw in it, and it was rusted shut. I had to drill it out, and viola; the who assy came right out! I scraped off the 68 white reflective stripes (I was sad too in doing this b/c there may be a person out there needing a 68 B5 GTX door?) Man, that B5 blue looks good under the stripe; unmolested original paint some 43 years after it was applied! I think this is a kick *** color, but, Q5 is my goal; that's a cool color too!

The door is in my blast bay waiting for that time when I have time to do it! Speaking of blasting, I gotta get my arse over there now; finish the Mustang and some sweet Aluminum wheels that are going to the Powder Coater!

Here's that door! I managed to Media Blast it today, it opened up a few rust holes in the bottom as I expected, it'll fix though. As I said, I did this door today, I also did the cowl cover too. I also did (paying job) 2 Fenders, 2 Doors, Hood, Deck lid, Header panel, and Front Valance for a 70 Barracuda, and then blasted the replacement floor section for my Satellite!
IMG_2265.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2259.jpg
[/IMG]

And the Barracuda parts, well, some of them!
IMG_2262.jpg
[/IMG]

The other day, I Media Blasted a bit of my GTX, specifically the right front inner (outer) fender areas after I completed doing the Barracuda parts. Here's some pics, it's still not done, but, it's progress - albeit slowly!
IMG_2272.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2270.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2271.jpg
[/IMG]

I was looking for, and found at least one pic of me pulling the rear end (literally) out of the car, and it disassembled, and Media Blasted, and painted in primer, but, I can only find the yanking pic! Notice I'm not kidding when I say pulling it out, thru what was the trunk floor!
rearout1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's the car, outside in all her glory as a shell, just waiting for her turn in the Media Blast room, then next door to new metal heaven!
IMG_1358.jpg
[/IMG]

and you see people complain all the time that a car has too much rust to fix, this just proves that it can be done. Not sure I would do it with a 74 Dart slant six 4 door, but it can be done. Good job on the documentary. LOL

Yup. Exactly why people think I should let Agent J go for peanuts.
Ain't
gonna
happen

Donny you are my Hero! I have loved this thread since Day ONE. Just shows you what hard work can do. I just wish it was my 69 GtX getting worked on. But that is going to be a while. Try to sell my house and remodel and older home now. keep up those pictures and Godd luck also now that I am with you for moral support as I will need plenty of that when i get my GTX started. Matt

Thanks Matt! I appreciate it, and once you get rolling on it, it's easy to keep that ball rolling. But, when you stop as I have over the years, it can take months and years to resume!

Oh yeah, I do have an update to the GTX to post. Yesterday, I had a small job for my antique furniture guy to do; two old *** metal desks that had contact paper stuck to 'em and rust...jeesh! Well, that contact paper was no challenge to rip off, he was worried it would not come off, I said "Never fear, Smith is here!" haha, no, didn't say that!

Well, as I said, it was a small job, so, I finished most of the front clip for the GTX, that old white paint blew right off, I watched the VIN appear like it was brand new as I passed over the radiator support. AMD called me, telling me the outer wheelhouses arrived, and will be shipping end of week! YEAH!!!

I then went to the Satellite...(check out that thread)

I saw some good information about Cowels in another thread, and knew I had some pics somewhere of my own cowel, and the ugliness that lay underneath. These are old, remember, I tossed the entire front section, but at this time I was still working the original pieces. I have this cowel now, still, it's in good shape, repaired of rust and ready to mount to a needy car; I'll take any offers for it, as I don't need it anymore, it'll need a small corner of new metal to make it 'complete'.
GTXTearInto085.jpg
[/IMG]
GTXTearInto079.jpg
[/IMG]
GTXTearInto078.jpg
[/IMG]
GTXTearInto077.jpg
[/IMG]

And, remember how I literally yanked the rear end out of the car, well, here it is all cleaned up and in primer.
GTXTearInto080.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm talking about the cowel cover, not the cowel itself, sorry for any possible confusion, I will get some pics soon of the reconditioned piece and put it out there for sale.

Auto Transport Service
Back