• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Hinge Shims

dbc105

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
I have replaced the lower door hinges on my '68 Satellite and now I need to space the top of the door out a bit. I have the hinge to the extent of it's slot travel and I guess next would be to put shims between the cowl on the hinge. Does anyone have an outlet for these or does everyone just make something up as they need them? I have not checked to see if one off of another make would fit. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,
DC

where exactly is it not lining up in the front or in the back if its not lining up in the front but looks fine in the back its not your hinge you need to adjust its your fender

You shouldn't have to shim the hinge outward. If this is necessary the hinge pillar is likely pushed in from an old collision and not restored to its original position. If you shim it out and the pillar is in you will lose weatherstrip contact and have air/water leaks. Look for visible signs of damage. Look at the opposite pillar and compare. Diagonal measurements from a known symmetrical point at the rocker can be taken with a tram gauge to determine Hinge pillar position comparitavely, that is if you have access to one!

Understand that this as not a personal attack or slam, just a general observation based on your example here.

This is the very type problem that i have commented about in the past with restored/repaired cars these days by people in their back yards that have no idea of what they are doing.

With a unibody car you have to start with the dimensions of the basic unibody for everything to line up. Shims are for minimal adjustments for door and window fit for wind noise and water leaks NOT major gaps.

This diagram is where you need to begin.

1966-70 B BODY FRAME DIMENSIONS.jpg

LOL, before I changed the hinges the doors lined up fine you just had to lift the door handle to close the doors because the bushings and pins were wore out. This was a problem when I bought the car and the previous owner had bought replacement hinges at a Mopar swap meet. Not rebuild hinges but new ones. The stamp said 'China'. So now the doors are too tight at the top between the leading edge of the top of the door and the cowl. It does not need to move much about an 1/8th of an inch at the top and the bottom is pretty close. And so you will know, it is in on top on both ends of the door. I had the doors off and no the cowl has not been hit on either side and no I am not a backyard mechanic, I used to rebuild wrecks for a living. Too much trouble in Alabama any more, only a couple of builders left in my area any more. I simply wanted to know if anyone knew of any ready made door shims like what used to be used on the Chevys & Fords, that's all. And by the way, a lot of old Fords are uni-body too. I figure the Chinese have never owned a '68 model Plymouth and likely missed it in manufacturing like most things from there. That brings me to the shims, but no matter, I will cut some.

Thanks,
DC

Just another example of made in China stuff...Rebuilding the original hinges is relatively cheap and kits are available on ebay and available from other suppliers as well...Good luck

You are right. I would not have bought them myself and I also refuse to buy one of those new bumpers(Tiwany) with the scratches under the chrome. But, the hinges were in the trunk with several other misc. parts, like the motor mount I need to install on the passenger side. I'll get there.

DC

Auto Transport Service
Back