• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Latch Problem 63 Fury

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
With all of the work reassembling my Plymouth after winter restoration I encountered a problem where the driver's door won't stay tightly shut. Was working fine for a while but had to drill out a broken adjuster bolt on bottom of door, reinstall regulators, windows, etc. Door fully latches but won't stay fully shut. After a lot of searching for the cause my only guess now is the latch gear (shaft) is worn enough to cause this slack. It has a bit more play than the right that works perfect. I adjusted the catch on the post it helped but no cure. Has anyone run onto this problem and found a fix or repaired the latch? I'm not comfy hunting down another latch fearing it could be no better than the one I have. Thanks!

Yeah mine was bad too. The 63 is a 63 only. I thought 63 to 65 were the same, WRONG. I did get one from Kramer Automotive.Not sure what I paid but it was less than $100.Bought several things at once so I can't say.

I stripped out a pair of 63 330 2dr sedan doors awhile back and have door and vent glass, nice latches as well as all the rods, linkage, and small parts.
Also have sedan vent wing frames and the chrome pivots, latch arms, small parts etc.
PM me with needs.

If the latch on the body is to far in it will only latch on the primary latch posistion and not the secondary. Try moving the latch toward the outside of the body. I know it sounds wrong but I've had this issue before.
Doug

Thanks for replying; the latch does double click and you're right moving the striker makes a difference as doing this made it better. The door is not tight to the car though and aside from possible door misalignment I'm suspicious of the condition of the gear in the door latch mechanism. This has more slop than the right and have to think the amount of play is what's causing the problem. While I've not heard of anyone rebuilding one of these (a lot of surfing the net on this) as it requires drilling out the gear shaft cap...going to try this and insert a bushing for retaining the gear shaft in the housing. Someone told me or I read it somewhere that the '63 latches are for that year only. This seems odd in that the 64 and 65 (Belvedere) body were so similar; but the cowling area was reconfigured.

Auto Transport Service
Back