• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door latch restoration

gkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone done their own restoration? Cleaning ... no problem BUT how about having them replated? What did you remove - if anything - before sending them to the plater ?

I'm planning to have them done in nickel. It's not "original" BUT neither is the rest of the car AND nickel is much more durable that zinc.

Electroless plating is the way to go - 100% coverage since it doesn't rely on electrical current.

However there is the concern of the plater dipping them in an acid wash and the various springs "disappearing".

What did you do ??

Mine were sent out with a few other parts and another guys Cuda parts. Cleaned and properly plated in silver/clear and yellow zinc for about 20 bucks a part. Unfortunately I'm up at camp so can't dig through my bills to tell you where..

I found a duplicolor paint that was. Pretty close match instead of replating ...,

IMG_20230117_135716592_HDR.jpg

Yeah, paint just doesn't hold up the same. The type of person I am they'd be off every week being stripped and repainted !!

The strikers appear to be bare metal - not sure what kind of metal 'cause there is ZERO rust on them. Too heavy to be aluminum. No pitting like pot metal. Heavy enough to be cast iron I suppose.

Striker is Silver/clear zinc plate and latch is yellow. I'll be home for a day or two in about a week... I'll try to remember to dig out my plating paper work.

I'll be home for a day or two in about a week... I'll try to remember to dig out my plating paper work.

Works for me !!

FWIW, in these parts the platers all have "minimums". The one I've used in the past was $100 but is now $160. So I'm gathering up just about every bolt, nut, washer and part that won't last if painted.

Auto Transport Service
Back