• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Panel Parts Prep for New Door Panels - '71 Charger SE

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting some new door panels from Legendary for my '71 SE. A whole set. They tell me I will need to use the metal and other backing parts (cardboard?) from my old panels. What is the best way to remove the old materials from my original door panels to be ready to install the new panels? Any tips on installing the new panels is welcome too!!!!

BTW, Legendary has been awesome to work with!!!

You will need to remove the cardboard from the metal backing by either grinding of the stamped/punched holes that attach the two together or trying to straighten the punched areas to break the bond of the two. Then align the new cardboard and glue the two together. YouTube has a couple good videos on this install. Honestly, I started this on my 71 Charger R/T door panels and called legendary for their opinion on realistically finishing this myself, and they said to absolutely send them to them for install. It can be done, and I could have done it, but thought long and hard about the finished product. They have the correct tools and do it every day.

Here is a link that I think will help you.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?102021-Door-panels&highlight=door+panels

I did these recently myself and had great success. You will most likely new new fuzzies. Year one has them but took me a year to get. You will also need a crap ton of clamps. for glue, I used E6000 for the fabric and thin application of gorilla glue for the bottom of the metal where the holes will be at. Pretty straight forward but make sure you have it level or it wont be the right length when you put it in. I made that mistake and had to fix it, thank the Lord I was able to fix it before I cut!

You can also send them to Legendary and they'll put them on as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back