• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door won't open

There is just one difference between both side doors and is the driver side opens from inside even with the lock on

True, but I think it would have been more than instructive enough to solve the problem.

And here I was going to suggest you remove the passenger side door panel and carefully observe it working correctly and just compare the two.

I hate to say it, but cutting the door was not necessary. I'd have removed the door and taken it to a local mechanic.

Guys....guys....guys......... I assure you, i tried every imaginable option. I worked on this (off and on) for 2+ weeks. (so did the prior owner, for what thats worth) I DID look at the other side, i DID follow the recommendations that a few other members suggested about lifting the door, wiggling, pry bars, etc. NOTHING. As i stated in previous posts on page one, i could see the latch and its mechanisms were working. Everything was swinging and traveling to its full extent. I could operate the latch with both handles, and physically with a long piece of flat bar. NOTHING. I had another person helping me at times lift the door, wiggle it, all while i pried, and pulled and kept the latched actuated. Cutting open the door was the only option. I certainly wasn't going to take the fender off so i could unbolt the door for cripes sake. I assure you, i did not harm THIS car. The Ratty Satty is a mess.
... but hey, thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

Haha, yeah i guess came off as a purist. Just seemed like a heck of a lot of work including the repair. I guess if literally all else fails... should be easy enough to weld the panel back in and grind it smooth.

Yep, it was a last resort. I work at a repair shop, and while not a mechanic by trade, i feel i have a pretty good understanding of whats what. It'll bend back into place and a few tack welds it'll be as good as it needs to be.

Cheers !

I had the exact same issue on my passenger door.
Worked my *** off trying everything indicated here.
I'm the end I literally "beat the door" from the inside with a block of wood and a hammer after wedging the latch on the open position (and yes I could physically see the latch operated to the open position).
Once I got the door open it was obvious that the star latch on the door was seized. I used the hammer after to get the latch spinning freely with WD-40.
Never get the door just pop I literally had to force it out the entire way until it cleared the latch.
No way I was going to cut a hole in anything.
Once it was done I did get the latch to spin freely and even close the door and reopened it a few times with no issue.

Here I am reading this in hope of support. I am currently in the situation where my 71 passenger will not open. Door panel is off and I am able to watch all mechanisms move. I have not been able to have anyone assist yet but I look forward to trying all things suggested here. I will report back to you all soon. Please add any additional suggestions if you have any.

Lock is either stuck or broken or the little lever on the latch is broken. Quite common on these as I have replaced them on every 71-74 I have owned and helped friends as well.
Will it open from the inside or outside or not both?

This is happening right now with my 71 charger, passenger door sometimes won't open ended up being a small round spring that is broken, sometimes it will open with the handle sometimes it won't. I will take a picture of it if I can find it but, that was the cause of it, just happened out of the blue.
And holy post-resurrection!

It will not open from outside or inside. Still working on trying to get it free. 40-60 mins here and there when I can get away. Fall is almost here so trying to get outside with the kids while I can.

Auto Transport Service
Back