• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOT drag tires which ones

I'll NEVER have Nitto 555Rs on a car that could possibly be driven on a wet street, through a puddle, or possibly get caught in the rain. I had 555R on the back of my 89 Conquest TSi and lost control doing 60ish on an interstate highway. Tires and surface of the highway both in good condition. It wasn't a heavy rain and totally took me by surprise.
I've been running Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, I have complete confidence in them should I encounter an unexpected rain storm or wet road from a storm that had passed. The short sidewall isn't the best for my manual transmission, but I did drive on mine long enough to buy a pair for my wife's GTO, and I certainly wouldn't want to live with the thought of her wrecking her car or worse because "I picked the wrong tires".
They have a number of sized, and last Wednesday night I was able to warm them up a bit for the first time with a line lock, and I'm pleased with the improved track traction.
Just curious how the Toyo tires wear. How many non radical miles can you get out of them??

I NEVER drive in the rain,,,,,,,well almost never..............:rolleyes:

Yep, it happens. I don't always check the weather living in AZ but we can get storms popping up. This was riding on Nitto 555R's. Not ideal but no issues.
20191207_160427.jpg

I think your Conquest was making too much power :)
Stock tiny 13a turbo, turned up from 10.5 stock to 17 pounds of boost. Mitsu Eclipse MAF, stock TSi injectors and computer. The very next upgrade after I turned it up was a high performance pressure plate and clutch disc because the stock one couldn't grab. 3" turbo back no cat exhaust and the BEST BY FAR sounding 4 banger muffler on the planet: Hooker Aeroflow.
The Conquest came off the line like a lightning bolt! I really enjoyed it, and if I didn't have my Roadrunner I'd morn the Conquest. I had all kinds of parts for upgrades, but I sold the car and everything with it.
The screech-chirp sounds are my tires, before the Nittos.

It was a BLAST on The Dragon's Tail! I had the Nittos on, and they were surprisingly good in the turns for a drag radial:

Just curious how the Toyo tires wear. How many non radical miles can you get out of them??
I put these on when I bought the Year One aluminum Rallye wheels about 3 years ago. I can't tell you how many miles I've racked up, but I am thrilled with the way they have lasted and performed on the street. I am reserving my final opinion on them as a low profile dual use tire regarding track traction because I've had numerous other parts and systems of the car way out of whack, but that's all about to be changed out and upgraded, and once I get back to the track and get the Toyos spinning, cleaned, and hot, then I'll be able to better judge.
This picture was about 3 months ago:
20191124_133109.jpg

I've still got plenty of tread depth, but I plan on leaving a good bit of that in the burnout box at Gulfport Dragway in about 6-8 weeks!

Both of these are the same R2 compound and radial construction. The SS being better able to handle the rain. I ran the older version of the SS which is fine unless it’s a heavy downpour.
Mike I notice in the footnotes, not for Dyno use. I'm sure a couple guys had issues to prompt this.........Thanks

ET Street Pros and a weather app for your cellphone.
Great racing tire, I've got a pair of the 315s. But.... the tire says "for drag racing use only, not for highway use.", and yet have what looks to be a DOT number too.
The question is.... is it street legal, or not? Or, is it okay as long as I'm on surface streets, and not the highway?:poke:

Great racing tire, I've got a pair of the 315s. But.... the tire says "for drag racing use only, not for highway use.", and yet have what looks to be a DOT number too.
The question is.... is it street legal, or not? Or, is it okay as long as I'm on surface streets, and not the highway?:poke:
I've been pulled over in mine and they never said anything about the tires. Speed was their issue. :)

They are a great street tire, though.

If they have DOT on them,,,,,,,well they DOT approved.:thumbsup:
The fronts are NOT DOT but they never look at the front tires:rolleyes:

6.13.16 002.jpg 6.13.16 003.jpg 6.13.16 007.jpg 6.13.16 008.jpg

Given my experience with the Nitto 555R, there would be absolutely ZERO chance of running a tire like this:
846243-a9ac5b4701672e49940fe46013fbdbe3.jpg

if there was ANY possibility of rain or wet surfaces...Those aren't "drive really slow on wet roads" tires, IMO, those are "park until the roads dry or get the trailer" tires..
Either that or be prepared to see this guy:
giphy-1.gif

That is why 2 sets of rims & tires are needed. The ET Streets ARE my street tires.I rarely get caught in the rain, any good chance of rain and the car don't come out.

THATS WHY i said his ride was insanely scary in the rain!
I've got a set just like it for my opel, one of three different sets for the rear. Mine still show a dot, 18 1/2 -31x15.

Auto Transport Service
Back