• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drag racing setup that can be both comfortable, and stable at speed

DAMatt

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
I made a mistake when rebuilding the suspension, in reusing the old torsion bars & leafs. Thought the car looked cooler standing lower, but little did I know...

I am thinking of starting from scratch, and rebuilding the suspension. My 3 goals are a) good 60ft in tbe 1/4, b) comfortable ride, and c) the car must be stable at speed. All this while not using parts that look to aftermarket (so no caltracks etc).

Now I know you can't build a drag racing & corner carver in the same setup, but lucky for me I have zero interest in taking corners. But is the setup required for high speed stability at odds with the one for a good 1/4 mile launch?

Also, I have heard about SS springs, but from my understanding, they give out a very harsh ride, so it would not meet the b) requirement.

Could you think of a complete list of parts I would need, to meet a), b), and c) all at once? I would want to keep a lower stance if possible.

SS springs don't ride bad, in my opinion. Get the right ones, rated for the ACTUAL weight of your car. The front segment being very stiff, they work for a drag launch, but a long soft rear segment gives a decent ride.
Then dial in as much caster as you can, and get externally adjustable shocks on both ends.
And get a pair of extra wheels, and some real race tires to use at the track, not on the street. What makes a drag car stabil on the big end also results in a stabil car on the freeway.

Yup, caster is your friend especially in a straight line. Minimal toe-in for drag racing.
PS or manual steering ? Don't need PS for drag racing, obviously.

I have power steering, and intend to keep it. For the brakes I ak considering going to manual, but that's another story...

I also have a new set of bilsteins, and PST stamped steel UCAs. I don't want to go tubular, the car is #s matching, and was restored with concours readiness in mind. The car also has the front end with poly bushes. I am thinking of rebuilding it with rubber for a softer ride, would it affect steering, and stability at speed?

Is a poly bush front end detrimental for drag racing?

Are my worn out original R/T torsion bars equivalent to smaller diameter ones? I read advices to use slant 6 bars, would it be safe on the highway @100+mph? What diameter do you think would be best for drag racing with a big block, but also safe at speed on the highway? Can I also have a lower stance with lighter torsion bars without busting my front shocks? (Already happened with the worn stock ones).

Ok, while I will reconsider SS springs, are there alternatives that look stock-ish, and are also comfortable?

I understand I need at least front adjustable shocks... Are adjustable rears mandatory? My bilsteins were just put in...

Are there little bits I may be unaware of, like hangers, shackles, etc? How do I know if I have a 1.5 or 2" eye? Only heard it mentioned, don't actually know how to look for.

If you were to build a suspension from scratch according to the aforementioned criteria, what would it contain?

Auto Transport Service
Back