• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drag radials

1toolguy

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I took the Cordoba to the track in Oct and managed to run a 14.250 with a 2.004 60-foot time on a pair of 275/60-15 BFG T/A radials. Obviously there was a some wheel spin but it wasn't awful. On my last run I was floating the valves at 5000RPM and decided it was time to change the springs. While the heads were off I decided to do a little bowl clean up and port matching. I finally made it back to teh track last week and had a LOT of wheel spin (one guy told me they looked like they were spinning until about 150 feet) so needless to say I think I've got more power than the T/A radials can handle:headbang:.

Now I'm looking at some drag radials and I've go a lead on a pair of brand new 235/60-15 BFG drag radials for $150. According to the information I've been able to dig up on these tires they are a little less than 2-inches shorter than the 275s (which will give me a roughly 7% increase in rear gear ratio) and have an 8/10ths of an inch narrower tread width.

Here's my question: Should I hold out for a set of 275s or will the stickier nature of the drag radials make the 235s adequate for my use?

Get the 275s for sure if they will fit. I got a set of mickey thompson et streets 295/65/15s. They hook quite nicely.

mickey thompson drag radials

i have used the mickeys on my mustang for years, the 275.s work great, asphalt track , foot brake launch best 60 foot of 1.43, use them on the street as well, work well, but dont like big burnouts, get them too hot and they spin, just getm hot enough to get the water off of them, and your good to go

if the 275 tire will fit then wait.a 235 is 40 mm smaller in section width(aprox 1.57 inches)so they are alot smaller in width.drag radials are not near as soft and flexible as soft side slicks so dont guess on size changes,just run the biggest that will fit.they work fine on the street,just be carefull in the rain.

Auto Transport Service
Back