• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drip Rail Chrome: Vinyl Roof vs No Vinyl Roof

Dibbons

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
I have read that the drip rail chrome is different on vinyl roof BBodies '71 to '74 (I have a '72) than vehicles with a painted roof. I guess I'm kind of a "doubting Thomas" (hard for me to picture factory making up two different sets). Has anyone ever measured them out to find out if there really is a difference? If so, I would love to know what the measurements worked out to be.

My vehicle was all taken apart when I purchased it. I found two sets of the moldings mixed in with all the loose parts (one set is straighter than the other-see photo). Doing some rough measuring, the width seems to be identical between the two sets (not sure from what vehicles they originated). Thank you.

IMG_1128.jpg

Last edited:
Doubt all you want, but for at least 68-70 the ones for painted are 0.5095 to 0.5135 overall width and for vinyl tops are 0.5355 to 0.5400 wide. Also noted by many that the ones for vinyl tops have a green strip on the inner face.

Doubt all you want, but for at least 68-70 the ones for painted are 0.5095 to 0.5135 overall width and for vinyl tops are 0.5355 to 0.5400 wide. Also noted by many that the ones for vinyl tops have a green strip on the inner face.

A good set of those moldings are tight as hell to begin with! I can't even imagine trying to reef a set over vinyl if they fit like my non-vinyl moldings did with a tad of extra paint on the rails. Using the non vinyl style on a vinyl top car has to be a nightmare to not tare the vinyl on those rail edges. There is defanately a reason to make a larger set for sure after that experience.

I don't doubt it, but looking for the differing measurements for the two versions of the '71 and up stainless.

I removed the vinyl top from my 74 Charger and went with a painted roof. The stainless drip rails were loose without vinyl material under them. My solution was to take strips of marine vinyl, glue it on the roof drip rails and then install the original vinyl top stainless trim pieces and they fit like a tight glove.
Terry W.

Last edited:
It's a vinyl we have used to redo the interior of our boats. It stands up to weather reasonably well. Many fabric places sell it by the 1/2 yard in different colors. If you know someone who has recently done the vinyl seats in their boat, I'd bet they have some left over. If not, try an upholstery shop that does boats. A full yard would do at least 10 car drip rails sets.
Marine Vinyl Black First Quality Closeout
Terry W.

If I remember the V. top ones are green on the inside..

I do believe there is a difference between the two. I just removed 2 set from some cars in a junkyard this weekend. The stainless steel drip rail trim from a vinyl top car was somewhat easier to remove, the vinyl top material was mostly gone in most areas, and that made the trim slightly easier to remove because the trim was not as tightly pinched. It still a major chore ( and by the way I have watched all the videos on how to remove). On the non vinyl top car, it was a different chore, the drip rail molding was so tightly pinched around the metal of the drip rail it was nearly impossible to remove. I have one full set from a 73 charger vinyl top car available, and I have a driver side only available from a non vinyl top 1971 satellite. These are very long one piece parts so shipping is going to be a major pain and very costly. I am in central arkansas, if someone needed any of these parts. I plan on going back and getting the passenger side piece from the from the non vinyl top 1971 satellite in the next few weeks.

I do believe there is a difference between the two. I just removed 2 set from some cars in a junkyard this weekend. The stainless steel drip rail trim from a vinyl top car was somewhat easier to remove, the vinyl top material was mostly gone in most areas, and that made the trim slightly easier to remove because the trim was not as tightly pinched. It still a major chore ( and by the way I have watched all the videos on how to remove). On the non vinyl top car, it was a different chore, the drip rail molding was so tightly pinched around the metal of the drip rail it was nearly impossible to remove. I have one full set from a 73 charger vinyl top car available, and I have a driver side only available from a non vinyl top 1971 satellite. These are very long one piece parts so shipping is going to be a major pain and very costly. I am in central arkansas, if someone needed any of these parts. I plan on going back and getting the passenger side piece from the from the non vinyl top 1971 satellite in the next few weeks.
Let’s keep it informational and not make it a for sale ad as the mods will remove the whole post…

I have a 1967 coronet that came with a painted roof (no vinyl) and when I restored the car I painted the roof naturally. Afterwards I decided to install a vinyl roof. I used the same roof rail drip mouldings that were original to the car. Thought I might have a problem but was pleasantly surprised how easily they went on. At the time I thought they must all be the same ? Since then I have come to learn that there is two different sizes. I'm no expert but I would tend to believe that's not the case based on my one and only experience. Just my thoughts and experience, you might not agree.

I have a 1967 coronet that came with a painted roof (no vinyl) and when I restored the car I painted the roof naturally. Afterwards I decided to install a vinyl roof. I used the same roof rail drip mouldings that were original to the car. Thought I might have a problem but was pleasantly surprised how easily they went on. At the time I thought they must all be the same ? Since then I have come to learn that there is two different sizes. I'm no expert but I would tend to believe that's not the case based on my one and only experience. Just my thoughts and experience, you might not agree.
Did you own the car since new? Reason I ask is the trim may have been replaced with V. Top trim as it's the easier of the two to remove. I have a set of V.Top Trim on my one 71 Plymouth even though it's painted as the original trim was mangled trying to remove it.. So someone could put a V. Top on my car and the trim would fit..

Did you own the car since new? Reason I ask is the trim may have been replaced with V. Top trim as it's the easier of the two to remove. I have a set of V.Top Trim on my one 71 Plymouth even though it's painted as the original trim was mangled trying to remove it.. So someone could put a V. Top on my car and the trim would fit..
No I didn't buy the car brand new but got it from the second owner who purchased it from the original owner in June of 1971 and was still wearing it's original paint in 2014 when I took over custody. Everything was original and unmodified except it had old radial tires which obviously weren't original. Again just my one experience with said mouldings on one specific car.

The cars I was learning from were a 1972 plymouth satellite vinyl top car and a 1971 plymouth satellite non vinyl top car. Maybe the 1967 cars were different. We all know things change with mopar, somewhat year to year.

The cars I was learning from were a 1972 plymouth satellite vinyl top car and a 1971 plymouth satellite non vinyl top car. Maybe the 1967 cars were different. We all know things change with mopar, somewhat year to year.
It's doesn't matter it's all cars. Different part number for V. Top verses painted roof it's in the parts books. The V.top trim MUST be larger to fit all that material in there..

Auto Transport Service
Back